Who is Anne KilligrewAnne Killigrew (1660–1685) was an English poet. Born in London, Killigrew is perhaps best known as the subject of a famous elegy by the poet John Dryden entitled To The Pious Memory of the Accomplish'd Young Lady Mrs. Anne Killigrew (1686). She was however a skilful poet in her own right, and her Poems were published posthumously in 1686. Dryden compared her poetic abilities to the famous Greek poet of antiquity, Sappho. Killigrew died of smallpox aged 25.
Early life and inspiration Anne Killigrew was born in early 1660, before the Restoration, at St Martin's Lane in London. Not much is known about her mother Judith Killigrew, but her father Dr. Henry Killigrew published several sermons and poems as well as a play called The Conspiracy. Her two patern...
Read Full Biography
Anne Killigrew Poems
- On The Soft And Gentle Motions Of Eudora
Divine Thalia strike th' Harmonious Lute,
But with a Stroke so Gentle as may sute
The silent gliding of the Howers,
Or yet the calmer growth of Flowers; ...
- Upon A Little Lady
Under the Discipline of an Excellent Person.
How comes the Day orecast? the Flaming Sun
Darkn'd at Noon, as if his Course were run? ...
- First Epigram: Upon Being Contented With A Little
1 We deem them moderate, but Enough implore,
2 What barely will suffice, and ask no more:
3 Who say, (O Jove) a competency give,
4 Neither in Luxury, or Want we'd live. ...
- On My Aunt Mrs. A. K.
Drown'd under London-bridge, in the Queens Bardge, Anno 1641
The Darling of a Father Good and Wise, ...
- The Second Epigram
Wanton Bellinda loudly does complain,
I've chang'd my Love of late into disdain:
Top 10 most used topics by Anne KilligrewSoul 10 I Love You 10 Love 10 Beauty 9 Great 9 Bright 9 Never 8 Alone 8 Noble 8 Heaven 8
Anne Killigrew Quotes
Comments about Anne Killigrew
- Mszagvazdina: to the queen ❤️ by anne killigrew -
- Lauravarnam: my students' projects included work on: chaucer, eliza haywood, thomas wyatt, the earl of rochester, margaret cavendish and anne killigrew.
- Feinsteinken: i always look for things that would invalidate neville's candidacy for authorship of the works of shakespeare. his wife's name was anne. check the characters named anne. favorite daughter? frances. brilliantly well-educated mother-in-law? katherine killigrew.
- Lovecarousel: remember when you love, from that same hour your peace you put into your lover’s power; - anne killigrew
- Shieldsandrew: 21 january 2021: anne killigrew, "pastoral dialogue"