Who is Langston HughesJames Mercer Langston Hughes (February 1, 1901 – May 22, 1967) was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, and columnist from Joplin, Missouri. He moved to New York City as a young man, where he made his career. One of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form called jazz poetry, Hughes is best known as a leader of the Harlem Renaissance in New York City. He famously wrote about the period that "the negro was in vogue", which was later paraphrased as "when Harlem was in vogue".
Contents BiographyAncestry and childhood Like many African Americans, Hughes had a comp...
Read Full Biography
Langston Hughes Poems
Je suis Dieu-
Sans un ami,
Seul dans ma pureté
Monde sans fin. ...
Ich bin Gott-
Ohne einen Freund,
Allein in meiner Reinheit
Welt ohne Ende. ...
Yo soy Dios-
Sin un amigo
Solo en mi pureza
Mundo sin fin. ...
- Night Funeral In Harlem
Where did they get ...
- Sick Room
It is in this sick room
Where on the bed
A silent woman lies between two lovers- ...
Top 10 most used topics by Langston HughesLove 16 I Love You 16 Night 13 Black 13 White 12 Long 12 Dream 11 Life 10 Song 10 World 9
Langston Hughes Quotes
- Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
- Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
- No woman can be handsome by the force of features alone, any more that she can be witty by only the help of speech.
Comments about Langston Hughes
- Arthur_affect: that play about the desperate, possibly doomed struggle for a working-class black family to get the damn house in the suburbs, a raisin in the sun, is named for a line from langston hughes' poem "harlem", whose first line is "what happens to a dream deferred?"
- Beineckelibrary: tired by langston hughes
- Arthur_affect: you know what langston hughes said about what happens to dreams deferred, and all... "what is a revolution, if not a dream persevering?"
- Tweetz789: hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.- langston hughes
- Writerravikumar: there are words like freedom sweet and wonderful to say. on my heartstrings freedom sings all day everyday. there are words like liberty that almost make me cry. if you had known what i know you would know why - langston hughes