Who is Langston HughesJames Mercer Langston Hughes (February 1, 1901 – May 22, 1967) was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, and columnist from Joplin, Missouri. He moved to New York City as a young man, where he made his career. One of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form called jazz poetry, Hughes is best known as a leader of the Harlem Renaissance in New York City. He famously wrote about the period that "the negro was in vogue", which was later paraphrased as "when Harlem was in vogue".
Contents BiographyAncestry and childhood Like many African Americans, Hughes had a comp...
Read Full Biography
Langston Hughes Poems
Je suis Dieu-
Sans un ami,
Seul dans ma pureté
Monde sans fin. ...
Ich bin Gott-
Ohne einen Freund,
Allein in meiner Reinheit
Welt ohne Ende. ...
Yo soy Dios-
Sin un amigo
Solo en mi pureza
Mundo sin fin. ...
- Night Funeral In Harlem
Where did they get ...
- Sick Room
It is in this sick room
Where on the bed
A silent woman lies between two lovers- ...
Top 10 most used topics by Langston HughesLove 16 I Love You 16 Night 13 Black 13 White 12 Long 12 Dream 11 Life 10 Song 10 World 9
Langston Hughes Quotes
- Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
- Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
- No woman can be handsome by the force of features alone, any more that she can be witty by only the help of speech.
Comments about Langston Hughes
- Sakeenawithin: “hold fast to dreams for if dreams die life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. hold fast to dreams for when dreams go life is a barren field frozen with snow.” ~ by langston hughes
- Shinto_se: 01:16 * i, too * langston hughes ~ a poem 4 every night of the year!
- D1fox1: "let america be america again" (it never was) by langston hughes, performed by aldo bil...
- Poclitbot: but opportunity is real, and life is free, equality is in the air we breathe. (there's never been equality for me, nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.") langston hughes, let america be america again
- Dagmmulu_dmf: hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. hold fast to dreams. for if dreams go, life is a barren field covered with snow. ~ langston hughes ~