Who is Edgar Allan PoeEdgar Allan Poe (/poʊ/; born Edgar Poe; January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849) was an American writer, editor, and literary critic. Poe is best known for his poetry and short stories, particularly his tales of mystery and the macabre. He is widely regarded as a central figure of Romanticism in the United States and of American literature as a whole, and he was one of the country's earliest practitioners of the short story. He is generally considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre and is further credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction. He was the first well-known American writer to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.
Poe was born in Boston, the second child of actors David and...
Read Full Biography
Edgar Allan Poe Poems
- Annabel Lee
C'était il y a plusieurs années
Dans un royaume au bord de la mer,
Qu'il y avait une vierge que vous connaissez peut-être
Avec le nom ANNABEL LEE; ...
- Annabel Lee
Es war viele und viele vor einem Jahr,
In einem Königreich am Meer,
Dass dort eine Jungfrau lebte, die Sie vielleicht kennen
Mit dem Namen ANNABEL LEE; ...
- Annabel Lee
Fue hace muchos y muchos años atrás,
En un reino junto al mar,
Que una doncella vivió allí a quien quizás conozcas
Con el nombre de ANNABEL LEE; ...
- Scenes From "politian." An Unpublished Drama
ROME.--A Hall in a Palace. ALESSANDRA and CASTIGLIONE
- The Lake - Early Version
In youth's spring, it was my lot
To haunt of the wide earth a spot
The which I could not love the less;
So lovely was the loneliness ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edgar Allan PoeHeart 56 Soul 51 Night 46 I Love You 44 Love 44 Light 43 Heaven 42 Long 41 God 41 Earth 35
Edgar Allan Poe Quotes
- All that we see and seem is but a dream within a dream.
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
- Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.
- Take this kiss upon the brow And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow-- You are not wrong who deem That my days have been a dream Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.
Comments about Edgar Allan Poe
- Anettemc: edgar allan poe is my favorite writer
- Mmajdeli: edgar allan poe wrote “there is no exquisite beauty, without some strangeness in the proportion”. and in my experience it’s true that there’s much to be appreciated in the eccentric and individualistic sense, and that what is remarkable is often strange in its complexity.
- Poem2poem: take this kiss upon the brow! / and, in parting from you now, / thus much let me avow-- - edgar allan poe
- Ricklondongreen: the goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. ~edgar allan poe
- Chessandpoker: "the true genius shudders at incompleteness ... imperfection ... and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not yet everything that should be said." - edgar allan poe