Who is Robert BurnsRobert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796), also known familiarly as Rabbie Burns, the National Bard, Bard of Ayrshire and the Ploughman Poet and various other names and epithets,[nb 1] was a Scottish poet and lyricist. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland and is celebrated worldwide. He is the best known of the poets who have written in the Scots language, although much of his writing is also in English and a light Scots dialect, accessible to an audience beyond Scotland. He also wrote in standard English, and in these writings his political or civil commentary is often at its bluntest.
He is regarded as a pioneer of the Romantic movement, and after his death he became a great source of inspiration to the founders of both liberalism ...
Read Full Biography
Robert Burns Poems
- Now Spring Has Clad The Grove In Green. To Mr. Cunningham
Now spring has clad the grove in green,
And strew'd the lea wi' flowers: ...
- Forlorn, My Love, No Comfort Near
Tune - "Let me in this ae night."
- O Mally's Meek, Mally's Sweet
O Mally's meek, Mally's sweet,
Mally's modest and discreet, ...
- To General Dumourier. Parody On Robin Adair
You're welcome to despots, Dumourier;
You're welcome to despots, Dumourier; ...
- The Dumfries Volunteers
Tune - "Push about the jorum."
Top 10 most used topics by Robert BurnsHeart 333 I Love You 261 Love 261 Never 200 Dear 192 Life 186 Night 184 Sweet 183 Poor 165 Wild 134
Robert Burns Quotes
- O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.
- I have a hundred times wished that one could resign life as an officer resigns a commission.
- If there is another world, he lives in bliss. If there is none, he made the best of this.
Comments about Robert Burns
- Burns_creighton: "any person who selects a goal in life which can be fully achieved has already defined his own limitations." -- robert cavett
- Ayocaesar: this will be the defining image of the tournament: a group of young guys rallying around their friend and teammate, doing the right thing to preserve his dignity despite their own shock and devastation. the humanity of this moment completely transcends the sport.
- Richardjmurphy: guess which country is recovering worst from covid? thank you boris johnson and rishi sunak:
- Shannygasm: random science fact: if you light your farts on fire, the flames will be blue. methane is the flammable gas in farts, and it burns blue. a really pretty shade, too!
- Winningwriters: "a red, red rose", a poem by robert burns |
Write your comment about Robert Burns
Richard C Martin: A great poet, whose works I turn to when I need to water my Scottish roots.