Who is Maya AngelouMaya Angelou (/ˈændʒəloʊ/ (listen); born Marguerite Annie Johnson; April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014) was an American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights activist. She published seven autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poetry, and is credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning over 50 years. She received dozens of awards and more than 50 honorary degrees. Angelou is best known for her series of seven autobiographies, which focus on her childhood and early adult experiences. The first, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sin...
Read Full Biography
Maya Angelou Poems
- Caged Bird
The free bird leaps
on the back of the wind
and floats downstream
till the current ends...
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty...
- Touched By An Angel
We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple...
- Woman Work
I've got the children to tend
The clothes to mend
The floor to mop
The food to shop...
When I was young, I used to
Watch behind the curtains
As men walked up and down the street. Wino men, old men.
Young men sharp as mustard....
Top 10 most used topics by Maya AngelouLove 14 Children 14 World 14 I Love You 14 Time 11 Life 10 Live 9 Fear 9 Long 9 Wind 8
Maya Angelou Quotes
- For Africa to me is more than a glamorous fact. It is a historical truth. No man can know where he is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place.
- Without courage you cannot practice any of the other virtues.
- History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
- How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!
- You may encounter defeats, but you must not be defeated.
Comments about Maya Angelou
- Kourtneykyung: gm! been thinking about creative energy as an unlimited resource with free/equal access, “you can’t use up creativity. the more you use the more you have.” — maya angelou
- Ipeeyushkumar: "you alone are enough. you have nothing to prove to anyone." - maya angelou
- _sentiments__: "you will never forget what peoople made you feel" - maya angelou
- Aplm888alana: my wish for you is that you continue. continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. ~ maya angelou
- Leannaorganics: “my wish for you is that you continue. continue to be who you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.” - maya angelou
Write your comment about Maya Angelou
BW Cooray: A great poet .
Richard C Martin: Words and thoughts that I think are beautiful, and wish they were mine.
arriyonna: she has a gifth
Peter Rham Milimo: Very wise and educative
MA Zakari Brainbox: A Gifted Poet.
Wegolonyo Wod Ker: Wow. . .infinity, in her gown yet the world must hold. Maya what a mighty pen from thy heart shall blood forever more. High regards!
Zeb Nicklin: Birds have wings suppressed so sings
depressed and leans on Bill Withers & Sam Cooke ilk
that A change gonna come before too long
same old song rhythm & blues diff day same issues
Let it be open the door aint no words of wisdom
you lining u the prisons
Listen to Bob & see Stevie innervisions!