Who is Edgar Albert GuestEdgar Albert Guest (20 August 1881 in Birmingham, England – 5 August 1959 in Detroit, Michigan) was a prolific English-born American poet who was popular in the first half of the 20th century and became known as the People's Poet. His poems often had an inspirational and optimistic view of everyday life.
Career In 1891, Guest moved with his family to the United States from England. After he began at the Detroit Free Press as a copy boy and then a reporter, his first poem appeared 11 December 1898. He became a naturalized citizen in 1902. For 40 years, Guest was widely read throughout North America, and his sentimental, optimistic poems were in the same vein as the light verse of Nick Kenny, who wrote syndicated columns during the same decades.
Read Full Biography
Edgar Albert Guest Poems
- The Limitations Of Greatness
NO MAN really knows enough
To be hateful to his brother,
None is rich enough to cuff
And be cruel to another; ...
- Forgotten Boyhood
He wears a long and solemn face
And drives the children from his place;
He doesn't like to hear them shout
Or race and run and romp about, ...
- What We Can Be
What We Can Be
We cannot all be men of fame,
We cannot all be men of wealth,
We cannot all be known by name, ...
- The Summer Girl
The Summer girl
And open hose
And narrow shoes, ...
- We Who Stay At Home
When you were just our little boy, on many a night we crept
Unto your cot and watched o'er you, and all the time you slept.
We tucked the covers round your form and smoothed your pillow, too,
And sometimes stooped and kissed your cheeks, but that you never knew. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edgar Albert GuestNever 392 Life 305 Time 277 Away 250 Good 235 Joy 218 Night 207 I Love You 205 Love 205 Play 186
Edgar Albert Guest Quotes
- Columbus dreamed of an unknown shore at the rim of a far flung sky.
- The timid and fearful first failures dismay, but the stout heart stays trying by night and by day. He values his failures as lessons that teach The one way to get to the goal he would reach.
Comments about Edgar Albert Guest
- Scottythom: to leave some simple mark behind to keep my having lived in mind; if enmity to aught i show, to be an honest, generous foe, to play my little part, nor whine that greater honors are not mine. this, i believe, is all i need for my philosophy and creed. 3/3 by edgar albert guest
- Wildroses4u2: sunshine & shadow & laughter & tears these are forever the paints of the years splashed on the canvas of life day by day we are the artists, the colors are they we are the painters, the pigments we use never we're wholly permitted to chose... ~edgar albert guest joaquin sorolla
- Ingridiart: life is what we make of it - edgar albert guest
- Mazemoore: courage by edgar albert guest. featuring ron desantis.
- Lbjelementary: compare and contrast poem, "don't quit" by edgar albert guest to "mother to son" by langston hughes. what's the connector.
Write your comment about Edgar Albert Guest
Lee Song Wara: after reading his poems i felt so good actually i am feeling good since i read his poems. his poems are so amazing that when i read his poem Satisfied With Life i was like "man i should read this poem once i get old"
he is just amazing RIP Edgar Albert Guest