Who is Edgar Albert GuestEdgar Albert Guest (20 August 1881 in Birmingham, England – 5 August 1959 in Detroit, Michigan) was a prolific English-born American poet who was popular in the first half of the 20th century and became known as the People's Poet. His poems often had an inspirational and optimistic view of everyday life.
Career In 1891, Guest moved with his family to the United States from England. After he began at the Detroit Free Press as a copy boy and then a reporter, his first poem appeared 11 December 1898. He became a naturalized citizen in 1902. For 40 years, Guest was widely read throughout North America, and his sentimental, optimistic poems were in the same vein as the light verse of Nick Kenny, who wrote syndicated columns during the same decades.
Read Full Biography
Edgar Albert Guest Poems
- The Limitations Of Greatness
NO MAN really knows enough
To be hateful to his brother,
None is rich enough to cuff
And be cruel to another; ...
- Forgotten Boyhood
He wears a long and solemn face
And drives the children from his place;
He doesn't like to hear them shout
Or race and run and romp about, ...
- What We Can Be
What We Can Be
We cannot all be men of fame,
We cannot all be men of wealth,
We cannot all be known by name, ...
- The Summer Girl
The Summer girl
And open hose
And narrow shoes, ...
- We Who Stay At Home
When you were just our little boy, on many a night we crept
Unto your cot and watched o'er you, and all the time you slept.
We tucked the covers round your form and smoothed your pillow, too,
And sometimes stooped and kissed your cheeks, but that you never knew. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edgar Albert GuestNever 392 Life 305 Time 277 Away 250 Good 235 Joy 218 Night 207 I Love You 205 Love 205 Play 186
Edgar Albert Guest Quotes
- Columbus dreamed of an unknown shore at the rim of a far flung sky.
- The timid and fearful first failures dismay, but the stout heart stays trying by night and by day. He values his failures as lessons that teach The one way to get to the goal he would reach.
Comments about Edgar Albert Guest
- Azicockatiel: با خوندن این شعر، ناخودآگاه لبخند میشینه رو صورتت. think of happy thoughts think always of the best, think of the ones you love, not those that you detest; think of your victories and not your failures here; the smile that pleased and not the hurtful sneer... edgar albert guest
- Afterbrugge: think happy thoughts - an uplifting poem for when you need it most by edgar albert guest a thread. (1 minute read)
- Bkmalegamwala: courage by edgar albert guest
- Arumblings: only a dad, but he gives his all to smooth the way for his children small, doing, with courage stern and grim, the deeds that his father did for him. this is the line that for him i pen, only a dad, but the best of men. only a dad by edgar albert guest
- Spill_words: only a dad a poem by edgar albert guest only a dad, with a tired face, coming home from the daily race, bringing little of gold or fame, to show how well he has played the game, but glad in his heart that his