Who is Robert ServiceRobert William Service (January 16, 1874 – September 11, 1958) was a British-Canadian poet and writer who has often been called "the Bard of the Yukon". He is best known for his poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee", from his first book, Songs of a Sourdough (1907; also published as The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses). His vivid descriptions of the Yukon and its people made it seem that he was a veteran of the Klondike Gold Rush, instead of the late-arriving bank clerk he was. Although his work remains popular, Service's poems were initially received as being crudely comical works, but he became a wealthy author and lived very comfortably on proceeds from his writing.
.mw-parser-output .toclimit-2 .toclevel-1 ul,.mw-parser-outp...
Read Full Biography
Robert Service Poems
- Your Poem
My poem may be yours indeed
In melody and tone,
If in its rhythm you can read
A music of your own;...
- Young Mother
Her baby was so full of glee,
And through the day
It laughed and babbled on her knee
In happy play....
- Young Fellow My Lad
“Where are you going, Young Fellow My Lad,
On this glittering morn of May?”
“I'm going to join the Colours, Dad;
They're looking for men, they say.”...
- You Can't Can Love
I don't know how the fishes feel, but I can't help thinking it odd,
That a gay young flapper of a female eel should fall in love with a cod.
Yet-that's exactly what she did and it only goes to prove,
That' what evr you do you can't put the lid on that crazy feeling Love. ...
- You And Me
I'm part of people I have known
And they are part of me;
The seeds of thought that I have sown
In other minds I see....
Top 10 most used topics by Robert ServiceLife 292 God 292 Never 266 Heart 259 Love 233 I Love You 233 Night 210 Away 193 Joy 176 Good 165
Robert Service QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Robert Service
- Five_books: “dostoevsky understood psychological and social contradictions in life to a peak of intensity later writers have seldom been able to match.”
- Machtraderau: 2011 volvo l110f priced at $105,000 + gst negotiable. - 19,623 hours - great condition with full service record call robert on 0405 372 016 to make an offer today!
- Frankfigliuzzi1: fbi vetting the guard: defense officials concerned about an insider attack from service members involved in securing wednesday's inauguration, prompting the fbi to vet all 25,000 national guard troops coming to washington for the event.
- Someonebot2: a postal service mail carrier named robert bought a blowdryer from ikea for $28.21! holy moly, robert!
- Anepisodicmess: i really the designs and general aesthetics of penguin books and the state and revolution one looks especially cool. but god why did they have to hire neocon robert service to translate.
Write your comment about Robert Service
Dante Lanzetta: I must have misremembered a closing line from a Service poem as: "And it was moonlight all the way." I've searched on it with no luck. If anyone knows the poem and title, I'd love to find it.
Dick wiklund: His works have fill in the true fleeing of my life .
mike brill: The Greatest of all.