Who is Robert ServiceRobert William Service (January 16, 1874 – September 11, 1958) was a British-Canadian poet and writer who has often been called "the Bard of the Yukon". He is best known for his poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee", from his first book, Songs of a Sourdough (1907; also published as The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses). His vivid descriptions of the Yukon and its people made it seem that he was a veteran of the Klondike Gold Rush, instead of the late-arriving bank clerk he was. Although his work remains popular, Service's poems were initially received as being crudely comical works, but he became a wealthy author and lived very comfortably on proceeds from his writing.
.mw-parser-output .toclimit-2 .toclevel-1 ul,.mw-parser-outp...
Read Full Biography
Robert Service Poems
- Your Poem
My poem may be yours indeed
In melody and tone,
If in its rhythm you can read
A music of your own;...
- Young Mother
Her baby was so full of glee,
And through the day
It laughed and babbled on her knee
In happy play....
- Young Fellow My Lad
“Where are you going, Young Fellow My Lad,
On this glittering morn of May?”
“I'm going to join the Colours, Dad;
They're looking for men, they say.”...
- You Can't Can Love
I don't know how the fishes feel, but I can't help thinking it odd,
That a gay young flapper of a female eel should fall in love with a cod.
Yet-that's exactly what she did and it only goes to prove,
That' what evr you do you can't put the lid on that crazy feeling Love. ...
- You And Me
I'm part of people I have known
And they are part of me;
The seeds of thought that I have sown
In other minds I see....
Top 10 most used topics by Robert ServiceLife 292 God 292 Never 266 Heart 259 Love 233 I Love You 233 Night 210 Away 193 Joy 176 Good 165
Robert Service QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Robert Service
- Profpcdoherty: apart from the politics & the return to basic integrity, the other great result of this election is the massive increase in competence and intellect in the incoming cabinet. rebuilding the status and independence of the higher, merit-based civil service can only reinforce that.
- Potus: on armed forces day, we share our unending appreciation for the proud patriots who answered the call to serve, taking the sacred oath to defend our constitution. today and every day, we honor their immeasurable service on behalf of our grateful nation.
- G_manifesto: the men that don’t fit in by robert w. service
- Jamesrus42: best food, best service in south lake tahoe, bar none, and pudding cup approved!
- Naiklagidotcom: “it isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.” -- robert w. service
Write your comment about Robert Service
Dante Lanzetta: I must have misremembered a closing line from a Service poem as: "And it was moonlight all the way." I've searched on it with no luck. If anyone knows the poem and title, I'd love to find it.
Dick wiklund: His works have fill in the true fleeing of my life .
mike brill: The Greatest of all.