Who is Robert ServiceRobert William Service (January 16, 1874 – September 11, 1958) was a British-Canadian poet and writer who has often been called "the Bard of the Yukon". He is best known for his poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee", from his first book, Songs of a Sourdough (1907; also published as The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses). His vivid descriptions of the Yukon and its people made it seem that he was a veteran of the Klondike Gold Rush, instead of the late-arriving bank clerk he was. Although his work remains popular, Service's poems were initially received as being crudely comical works, but he became a wealthy author and lived very comfortably on proceeds from his writing.
.mw-parser-output .toclimit-2 .toclevel-1 ul,.mw-parser-outp...
Read Full Biography
Robert Service Poems
- Your Poem
My poem may be yours indeed
In melody and tone,
If in its rhythm you can read
A music of your own;...
- Young Mother
Her baby was so full of glee,
And through the day
It laughed and babbled on her knee
In happy play....
- Young Fellow My Lad
“Where are you going, Young Fellow My Lad,
On this glittering morn of May?”
“I'm going to join the Colours, Dad;
They're looking for men, they say.”...
- You Can't Can Love
I don't know how the fishes feel, but I can't help thinking it odd,
That a gay young flapper of a female eel should fall in love with a cod.
Yet-that's exactly what she did and it only goes to prove,
That' what evr you do you can't put the lid on that crazy feeling Love. ...
- You And Me
I'm part of people I have known
And they are part of me;
The seeds of thought that I have sown
In other minds I see....
Top 10 most used topics by Robert ServiceLife 292 God 292 Never 266 Heart 259 Love 233 I Love You 233 Night 210 Away 193 Joy 176 Good 165
Robert Service QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Robert Service
- Lensonlifecoach: honored to be included in my father's recalling of serving in the us army during wwii. stories of service | robert stromberg | june 2021
- Htcstores: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 star review from robert b.
- Ukcoachcalipari: my good friend and my mentor george ditomassi from my umass days passed away and they had his service today. not only was he a great leader, he was a great teacher. he dragged so many people with him. i’m going to miss him.
- Howardanglin: adding southern okanagan and pec wines and canadian whisky, poetry from robert service, earle birney, and pk page, and the part of that summer in paris where morley callaghan knocks down hemingway in a boxing match (our literary ‘burning down the white house’ moment) …
- Spj_tweets: the deadline for nominations for the robert d.g. lewis first amendment award is at 11:59 p.m. edt today! this award is given to an spj student member who has demonstrated outstanding service to the first amendment through journalism. learn more:
Write your comment about Robert Service
Dante Lanzetta: I must have misremembered a closing line from a Service poem as: "And it was moonlight all the way." I've searched on it with no luck. If anyone knows the poem and title, I'd love to find it.
Dick wiklund: His works have fill in the true fleeing of my life .
mike brill: The Greatest of all.