Who is Robert ServiceRobert William Service (January 16, 1874 – September 11, 1958) was a British-Canadian poet and writer who has often been called "the Bard of the Yukon". He is best known for his poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee", from his first book, Songs of a Sourdough (1907; also published as The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verses). His vivid descriptions of the Yukon and its people made it seem that he was a veteran of the Klondike Gold Rush, instead of the late-arriving bank clerk he was. Although his work remains popular, Service's poems were initially received as being crudely comical works, but he became a wealthy author and lived very comfortably on proceeds from his writing.
.mw-parser-output .toclimit-2 .toclevel-1 ul,.mw-parser-outp...
Read Full Biography
Robert Service Poems
- Your Poem
My poem may be yours indeed
In melody and tone,
If in its rhythm you can read
A music of your own;...
- Young Mother
Her baby was so full of glee,
And through the day
It laughed and babbled on her knee
In happy play....
- Young Fellow My Lad
“Where are you going, Young Fellow My Lad,
On this glittering morn of May?”
“I'm going to join the Colours, Dad;
They're looking for men, they say.”...
- You Can't Can Love
I don't know how the fishes feel, but I can't help thinking it odd,
That a gay young flapper of a female eel should fall in love with a cod.
Yet-that's exactly what she did and it only goes to prove,
That' what evr you do you can't put the lid on that crazy feeling Love. ...
- You And Me
I'm part of people I have known
And they are part of me;
The seeds of thought that I have sown
In other minds I see....
Top 10 most used topics by Robert ServiceLife 292 God 292 Never 266 Heart 259 Love 233 I Love You 233 Night 210 Away 193 Joy 176 Good 165
Robert Service QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Robert Service
- Naiklagidotcom: “it isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.” -- robert w. service
- Thespoof: gold rush poet robert service dedicates new poem about anchorage, alaska
- Marcus4georgia: my name is marcus flowers. i’m a u.s. army veteran, a democrat, and i believe in service. i know georgia's brightest days are ahead of us, and that's why i'm running for congress.
- Baaznewsorg: update | truro police service have arrested two men in connection with the murder of prabhjot singh katri. dylan robert macdonald, 21, of valley, colchester county, and a second male, 20, from pictou landing first nation. they have not been charged with a hate crime yet.
- Robjaggsfowler: services tomorrow (28th nov) st mary's church, barton: 8am eucharist (fr robert) 9.30am parish eucharist (fr robert) 6pm advent service (frs david, alan & robert) all saints, saxby: 9.30am eucharist (fr david) st clements, worlaby: 11am eucharist (fr david) all are welcome
Write your comment about Robert Service
Dante Lanzetta: I must have misremembered a closing line from a Service poem as: "And it was moonlight all the way." I've searched on it with no luck. If anyone knows the poem and title, I'd love to find it.
Dick wiklund: His works have fill in the true fleeing of my life .
mike brill: The Greatest of all.