Who is Ogden NashFrederic Ogden Nash (August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971) was an American poet well known for his light verse, of which he wrote over 500 pieces. With his unconventional rhyming schemes, he was declared the country's best-known producer of humorous poetry.
Early life Nash was born in Rye, New York, the son of Mattie (Chenault) and Edmund Strudwick Nash. His father owned and operated an import–export company, and because of business obligations, the family relocated often. Nash was descended from Abner Nash, an early governor of North Carolina. The city of Nashville, Tennessee, was named for Abner's brother, Francis, a Revolutionary War general.
Throughout his life, Nash loved to rhyme. "I think in terms of rhyme, and have since I was six years old,...
Read Full Biography
Ogden Nash Poems
- The Middle
When I remember bygone days
I think how evening follows morn;
So many I loved were not yet dead,
So many I love were not yet born....
- Look What You Did, Christopher!
In fourteen hundred and ninety-two,
Someone sailed the ocean blue.
Somebody borrowed the fare in Spain
For a business trip on the bounding main, ...
- What's The Use?
Sure, deck your limbs in pants,
Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
You look divine as you advance . . .
Have you seen yourself retreating?...
- Old Dr. Valentine To His Son
Your hopeless patients will live,
Your healthy patients will die.
I have only this word to give:
Wonder, and find out why...
- A Drink With Something In It
There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Ogden NashNever 27 People 24 Time 19 Good 13 I Love You 12 Love 12 Children 11 Head 11 Child 11 Life 11
Ogden Nash Quotes
- An occasional lucky guess as to what makes a wife tick is the best a man can hope for, Even then, no sooner has he learned how to cope with the tick than she tocks.
- A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.
- A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold.
- He without benefit of scruples His fun and money soon quadruples.
- Marriage is the alliance of two people, one of whom never remembers birthdays and the other never forgets them.
Comments about Ogden Nash
- Chikuwa100q_bot: 10. candy is dandy/ but liquor is quicker. [ogden nash]
- Melaniejaxn: i didn't go tochurch today i trust thelord tounderstand. the surf was swirling blue&white the children swirling on the sand. he knows, he knows how brief my stay how brief this spell of summer weather he knows when i am said&done we'll have plenty of time together. -ogden nash
- Tross04401: people who have what they want are very fond of telling people who haven't what they want that they don't want it. -- ogden nash
- Poem2poem: to keep your marriage brimming / with love in the loving cup, - ogden nash
- Mghoz: ogden nash once said to keep your marriage brimming, with love in the loving cup, whenever you're wrong, admit it; whenever you're right, shut up.