Who is Judith WrightJudith Arundell Wright (31 May 1915 – 25 June 2000) was an Australian poet, environmentalist and campaigner for Aboriginal land rights. She was a recipient of the Christopher Brennan Award.
Contents Biography Judith Wright was born in Armidale, New South Wales. The eldest child of Phillip Wright and his first wife, Ethel, she spent most of her formative years in Brisbane and Sydney. Wright was of Cornish ancestry. After the early death of her mother, she lived with her aunt and then boarded at New England Girls' School after her father's remarriage in 1929. After graduating, Wright studied Philosophy, Engl...
Read Full Biography
Judith Wright Poems
- Trapped Dingo
So here, twisted in steel, and spoiled with red
your sunlight hide, smelling of death and fear,
they crushed out your throat the terrible song
you sang in the dark ranges. With what crying...
- Blue Arab
The small blue Arab stallion dances on the hill
like a glancing breaker, like a storm rearing in the sky,
In his prick-ears,the wind, that wanderer and spy,
sings of the dunes of Arabia, lion-coloured still....
Now let the draughtsman of my eyes be done
marking the line of petal and of hill.
Let the long commentary of the brain
be silent. Evening and the earth are one, ...
- The Trains
Tunnelling through the night, the trains pass
in a splendour of power, with a sound like thunder
shaking the orchards, waking
the young from a dream, scattering like glass...
Once as I travelled through a quiet evening,
I saw a pool, jet-black and mirror-still.
Beyond, the slender paperbarks stood crowding;
each on its own white image looked its fill, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Judith WrightDark 14 Night 13 Heart 12 Sun 10 Black 10 Light 9 White 9 Wind 8 I Love You 8 Love 8
Judith Wright Quotes
Comments about Judith Wright
- Elisionensemble: a huge blast from the past. on bass saxophone from an elision concert at the judith wright centre! timothy o'dwyer. stunning improviser and composer.
- Davidbe01254937: bbc radio 4 has a series of stories about the pioneers of the modern environmental movement. petra kelly, james lovelock, etc. the australian poet judith wright is also profiled. how can we keep her memory alive? start with her poetry. share it with your children.
- Wetherby2019: there is no entry in the australian dictionary of biography for one of my favourite australian poets, judith wright. why not?
- Yongkhor1: the former guy, vociferous endorsement and last-minute rally could not save republican congressional candidate susan wright. she lost the texas runoff election by more than 6 points.
- Artsalamode: born 7/28: painters marcel duchamp, judith leyster, joaquin torres garcia, writers gerard manley hopkins, kenneth fearing, malcolm lowry, shirley ann grau, john ashberry, jazz trombone delfeayo marsalis, singer/songwriter rick wright, dancer jacques d'amboise.