Who is Evie ShockleyEvie Shockley is an American poet. Shockley received the 2012 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award in Poetry for her book the new black and the 2012 Holmes National Poetry Prize. She was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2018.
Early life Shockley is originally from Nashville, Tennessee. Shockley received a BA from Northwestern University, studied law at the University of Michigan, and received and a PhD in English from Duke University.
Career Shockley teaches at Rutgers University-New Brunswick in New Jersey. She published the book Renegade Poetics: Black Aesthetics and Formal Innovation in African American Poetry in 2011. The book explores the poetics of the Black Arts Movement.
She has been a MacDowell Colony Fellow si...
Read Full Biography
Evie Shockley Poems
- On New Year's Eve
we make midnight a maquette of the year:
frostlight glinting off snow to solemnize
the vows we offer to ourselves in near
silence: the competition shimmerwise ...
My father: younger, handsome, downright square,
eyes like brown buttons fastening his face
over his soul, mouth not too straight to swear,
to say, man, sonny stitt's ass trashed the place, ...
- Where You Are Planted
He's as high as a georgia pine, my father'd say, half laughing. southern trees
as measure, metaphor. highways lined with kudzu-covered southern trees.
fuchsia, lavender, white, light pink, purple : crape myrtle bouquets burst ...
- Waiting On The Mayflower
i. august 1619
arrived in a boat, named
and unnamed, twenty, pirated ...
- The Anklet
my sister's visit
to india begins
it. i asked for a sari,
but received ...
Top 10 most used topics by Evie ShockleyGood 5 Time 5 Skin 5 Green 4 Life 4 December 4 Mother 4 White 4 Clean 4 Long 4
Evie Shockley Quotes
Comments about Evie Shockley
- Blkgrlpoet: reading evie shockley’s work is an act of discovery every time. i first read the new black as a very green college junior, a baby poet myself. now, i see so much more. forms, references, metaphors, style. it’s a wonderland.
- Junipersummer: the guest writers at juniper have inspiring craft sessions and workshops! check out ‘her tin skin’ by instructor evie shockley:
- Cawkward_rich: have a little love poem to my friends / the friends of my mind up today on poem-a-day. many thanks to evie shockley for her generous curation this entire month!
- Poetsorg: that year i carried the blues around left me mean :: while indigo held fast, the daily news tattooed azure to my back. —evie shockley
- Poetsorg: and bathe breathe believe through drought you survive like the passage schooled you till rains arrive —evie shockley