Who is George EliotMary Ann Evans (22 November 1819 – 22 December 1880; alternatively Mary Anne or Marian), known by her pen name George Eliot, was an English novelist, poet, journalist, translator, and one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. She wrote seven novels, including Adam Bede (1859), The Mill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), Romola (1862–63), Middlemarch (1871–72), and Daniel Deronda (1876), most of which are set in provincial England and known for their realism and psychological insight.
Although female authors were published under their own names during her lifetime, she wanted to escape the stereotype of women's writing being limited to lighthearted romances. She also wanted to have her fiction judged separately from her already extensive and widely kn...
Read Full Biography
George Eliot Poems
- Sweet Springtime
It was in the prime
Of the sweet springtime
In the linnet's throat
Trembled the love note, ...
- Mid My Gold-brown Curls
'Mid my gold-brown curls
There twined a silver hair:
I plucked it idly out
And scarcely knew 'twas there. ...
- God Needs Antonio
Your soul was lifted by the wings today
Hearing the master of the violin:
You praised him, praised the great Sabastian too
Who made that fine Chaconne; but did you think ...
- Day Is Dying
Day is dying! Float, o song,
Down the westward river,
Requiem chanting to the Day,
Day, the mighty giver! ...
- Bright, O Bright Fedalma
Maiden crowned with glossy blackness,
Lithe as panther forest-roaming,
Long-armed Naiad when she dances
On a stream of ether floating, ...
Top 10 most used topics by George EliotLight 10 I Love You 8 Love 8 Sweet 7 World 6 Life 6 Time 6 Rose 6 Sky 6 Pure 5
George Eliot Quotes
- The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men.
- Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
- To judge wisely, we must know how things appear to the unwise.
- Falsehood is easy, truth so difficult.
- The scornful nostril and the high head gather not the odors that lie on the track of truth.
Comments about George Eliot
- Bestquote85: all the learnin' my father paid for was a bit o' birch at one end and an alphabet at the other. -george eliot -dad
- Kjungxoxx_: “it is never too late to be what you might have been.” ― george eliot
- Sojiesub: “it is never too late to be what you might have been.” - george eliot
- Scenerydotmp3: one of george eliot's editors wanted to drown in a river with her work in his hands and that's how i feel about this picture of taehyung
- Pakpsck: it's a father's duty to give his sons a fine chance. ~george eliot