Who is Joyce SutphenSutphen speaking after Governor Dayton, at right, announced her appointment as the Poet Laureate of Minnesota Joyce Sutphen (born August 10, 1949) is an American poet, currently serving as Minnesota's Poet Laureate. She is the state's second laureate, appointed by Governor Mark Dayton in August, 2011. Sutphen also serves as a professor of English at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Min...
Read Full Biography
Joyce Sutphen Poems
The second half of my life will be black
to the white rind of the old and fading moon.
The second half of my life will be water
over the cracked floor of these desert years. ...
- The Farm
My father's farm is an apple blossomer.
He keeps his hills in dandelion carpet
and weaves a lane of lilacs between the rose
and the jack-in-the-pulpits. ...
- Evening Angelus
I have forgotten the words,
and therefore I shall not conceive
of a mysterious salvation, I shall
not become a tall lily and bloom ...
- Just For The Record
It wasn't like that. Don't imagine
my father in a feed cap, chewing
a stem of alfalfa, spitting occasionally.
- The Aunts
I like it when they get together
and talk in voices that sound
like apple trees and grape vines,
Top 10 most used topics by Joyce SutphenTogether 7 Time 6 Away 6 White 5 Place 4 Never 4 Beneath 3 Thought 3 Door 3 Heart 3
Joyce Sutphen Quotes
Comments about Joyce Sutphen
- Vernonhorn: feeding the new calf by joyce sutphen a poem for that should push us all towards vegetarianism, if not outright veganism!
- Univnebpress: in carrying water to the field joyce sutphen’s evocations of life on a small farm, coming of age in the late 1960s, and traveling and searching for balance in a very modern world are both deeply personal and familiar. during national poetry month save 50%
- Lentillover: "now that anything could happen." by joyce sutphen.
- Sydneyregina: – joyce sutphen, "crossroads"
- Kjcfalcon: 4 of 5 stars to coming back to the body by joyce sutphen