Who is Charles HarpurCharles Harpur (23 January 1813 – 10 June 1868) was an Australian poet.
Early life Harpur was born on 23 January 1813 at Windsor, New South Wales, the third child of Joseph Harpur – originally from Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, parish clerk and master of the Windsor district school – and Sarah, née Chidley (from Somerset; both had been transported.). His mother would later remarry to John Walsh, whose daughter Bridget would marry bushranger Ben Hall. Harpur received his elementary education in Windsor. This was probably largely supplemented by private study; he was an eager reader of William Shakespeare. Harpur followed various avocations in the bush and for some years in his twenties held a clerical position at the post office in Sydney.
Read Full Biography
Charles Harpur Poems
- The Vision Of The Rock
I SATE upon a lonely peak,
A backwood riverâ??s course to view,
And watched the changing shadows freak
Its liquid length of gleaming blue, ...
- Downward, Through The Blooming Roofage
Downward, through the blooming roofage
Of a lonely forest bower,
Come the yellow sunbeams,â??falling
Like a burning shower: ...
- Love, Dreaming Of Death
I dreamt my little boys were dead
And I was sitting wild and lone;
On closed unmoving knees my head
Lay rigid as a stone. ...
- An Aboriginal Mothers's Lament
An Aboriginal Motherâ??s Lament
- Ecce Homo
A man of sorrows and with grief acquainted,
He bowed His beauteous head to the rude hands
Of Pilateâ??s hireling bands;
And while beneath their cruel scourge He fainted, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Charles HarpurLove 54 I Love You 54 Heart 53 Spirit 49 World 45 Wild 44 Soul 44 Light 40 Bright 40 Beauty 40
Charles Harpur Quotes
Comments about Charles Harpur
- Book_addict: happy birthday to australian poet charles harpur (january 23,1813), author of “thoughts, a series of sonnets” (1845) et al.
- 411ethiopianism: (poetical-ethiopianism) . when up the unclouded heaven in starry sheen night walks like a gem-sprangled ethiop queen, and from her solemn curtains wide unfurled falls dense repose upon the drowsy world. . [an excerpt] the ideal by charles harpur (1813- 1868)
- Dnlee5: lee 2020. diversity and inclusion activisms in animal behaviour and the abs: a historical view from the u.s.a. animal behaviour, 164: 273-280 keywords: charles henry turner, diversity, inclusion, scholar activism, science history, under-represented minorities
- Harpur: holy cow, charles bradley died three years ago today. a celebrity death that hit me. he sang what he knew and delivered so much emotion in each song. as one reviewer said: that's not sweat on his brow up there on stage, that's his whole body crying.
- Readingrevival: jonathan was born in the convict era: the same year frank the poet was transported to australia for larceny; (convict offspring) charles harpur was 19 and single