Who is Claude MckayFestus Claudius "Claude" McKay (September 15, 1889 – May 22, 1948) was a Jamaican writer and poet, who was a seminal figure in the Harlem Renaissance. He wrote four novels: Home to Harlem (1928), a best-seller that won the Harmon Gold Award for Literature, Banjo (1929), Banana Bottom (1933), and in 1941 a manuscript called Amiable With Big Teeth: A Novel of the Love Affair Between the Communists and the Poor Black Sheep of Harlem which remained unpublished until 2017. McKay also authored collections of poetry, a collection of short stories, Gingertown (1932), two autobiographical books, A Long Way from Home (1937) and My Green Hills of Jamaica (published posthumously), and a non-fiction, socio-historical treatise entitled Harlem: Negro Metropolis (1940). His 1922 poetry collect...
Read Full Biography
Claude Mckay Poems
- My Mother
Reg wished me to go with him to the field,
I paused because I did not want to go; ...
- When Dawn Comes To The City
The tired cars go grumbling by,
The moaning, groaning cars,
And the old milk carts go rumbling by
Under the same dull stars. ...
- French Leave
No servile little fear shall daunt my will
This morning. I have courage steeled to say
I will be lazy, conqueringly still,
I will not lose the hours in toil this day. ...
- Alfonso, Dressing To Wait At Table
Alfonso is a handsome bronze-hued lad
Of subtly-changing and surprising parts;
His moods are storms that frighten and make glad,
His eyes were made to capture women's hearts. ...
- The Wild Goat
O you would clothe me in silken frocks
And house me from the cold,
And bind with bright bands my glossy locks,
And buy me chains of gold; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Claude MckayHeart 32 Night 29 Love 25 I Love You 25 Sweet 22 Passion 20 Life 20 Body 16 Long 16 Light 16
Claude Mckay Quotes
Comments about Claude Mckay
- Raf_walk: this letter to claude mckay is a little creepy. imagine someone asking you to send them "a photograph of yourself—preferably in some homely, occupational or communal activity."
- Beineckelibrary: letter : 1947 january 26, cedric dover to claude mckay; includes synopsis to singing brown; more:
- Shakescoproject: help us identify a member of the lending library. was the charles ashleigh who joined shakespeare and company in 1923, the writer and labor activist, who was romantically involved with claude mckay? was that ashleigh in paris in august 1923?
- Jgarrettgilmore: claude mckay asking the comintern for $55k to radicalize black americans
- Laurenroarcher: claude mckay: