Who is Wallace StevensWallace Stevens (October 2, 1879 – August 2, 1955) was an American modernist poet. He was born in Reading, Pennsylvania, educated at Harvard and then New York Law School, and he spent most of his life working as an executive for an insurance company in Hartford, Connecticut. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for his Collected Poems in 1955.
Stevens' first period of writing begins with his 1923 publication of the Harmonium collection, followed by a slightly revised and amended second edition in 1930. His second period occurred in the eleven years immediately preceding the publication of his Transport to Summer, when Stevens had written three volumes of poems including Ideas of Order, The Man with the Blue Guitar, Parts of the World, along with Transport to Summer. H...
Read Full Biography
Wallace Stevens Poems
- Hymn From A Watermelon Pavilion
You dweller in the dark cabin,
To whom the watermelon is always purple,
Whose garden is wind and moon,
- No Possum, No Sop, No Taters
He is not here, the old sun,
As absent as if we were asleep.
The field is frozen. The leaves are dry. ...
- The Man On The Dump
Day creeps down. The moon is creeping up.
The sun is a corbeil of flowers the moon Blanche
Places there, a bouquet. Ho-hoâ?¦The dump is full
Of images. Days pass like papers from a press. ...
- The River Of Rivers In Connecticut
There is a great river this side of Stygia
Before one comes to the first black cataracts
And trees that lack the intelligence of trees.
- The High-toned Old Christian Woman
Poetry is the supreme fiction, madame.
Take the moral law and make a nave of it
And from the nave build haunted heaven.Thus,
The conscience is converted into palms, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Wallace StevensSun 30 Green 29 Wind 27 Night 24 Sea 23 Blue 21 Mind 20 White 18 Water 17 Thought 16
Wallace Stevens Quotes
- The summer night is like a perfection of thought.
- To name an object is to deprive a poem of three-fourths of its pleasure, which consists in a little-by-little guessing game; the ideal is to suggest.
Comments about Wallace Stevens
- Quinoacowboy: honorable mentions: genie from aladdin, carrie bradshaw, lily aldrin, mia wallace, izzy stevens . this is why i’m in therapy
- Pimentothree: feb. 25, 2021...forbidden places... wallace stevens "it was when the trees were leafless first in november and their blackness became apparent, that one first knew the eccentric to be the base of design."
- Pimentothree: "throw away the lights, the definitions, and say of what you see in the dark that it is this or that it is that, but do not use the rotted names." wallace stevens, "the man with the blue guitar"(photo: picasso old guitarist)
- Hermesalejo: contracorrientes: guarida de los poetas - un niño dormido en su propia vida, wallace stevens, opus posthumous. / wallace stevens - the idea of order at key west / chet baker & paul bley - diane - " if i should lose you "
- Kjavadizadeh: wallace stevens. “the light / in the room more like a snowy air, / reflecting snow. a newly-fallen snow / at the end of winter when afternoons return.”
Write your comment about Wallace Stevens
Barbara Clark : perhaps everything is all resisting nothing