Who is Walter Savage LandorWalter Savage Landor (30 January 1775 – 17 September 1864) was an English writer, poet, and activist. His best known works were the prose Imaginary Conversations, and the poem Rose Aylmer, but the critical acclaim he received from contemporary poets and reviewers was not matched by public popularity. As remarkable as his work was, it was equalled by his rumbustious character and lively temperament. Both his writing and political activism, such as his support for Lajos Kossuth and Giuseppe Garibaldi, were imbued with his passion for liberal and republican causes. He befriended and influenced the next generation of literary reformers such as Charles Dickens and Robert Browning.
Summary of his work
Read Full Biography
Walter Savage Landor Poems
Death, tho' I see him not, is near
And grudges me my eightieth year.
Now, I would give him all these last
For one that fifty have run past. ...
- Ah What Avails The Sceptred Race,
Ah what avails the sceptred race,
Ah what the form divine!
What every virtue, every grace!
Rose Aylmer, all were thine. ...
- The Poet Who Sleeps
One day, when I was young, I read
About a poet, long since dead,
Who fell asleep, as poets do
In writing--and make others too. ...
- Here, Ever Since You Went Abroad,
Here, ever since you went abroad,
If there be change, no change I see,
I only walk our wonted road,
The road is only walkt by me. ...
- A Pastoral
Damon was sitting in the grove
With Phyllis, and protesting love;
And she was listening; but no word
Of all he loudly swore she heard. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Walter Savage LandorNever 38 Love 36 I Love You 36 Away 25 Life 23 Sweet 22 Death 20 Thought 20 Long 20 White 18
Walter Savage Landor Quotes
- Ambition is but avarice on stilts and masked.
- Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do; they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart.
- Kindness in ourselves is the honey that blunts the sting of unkindness in another.
- Men, like nails, lose their usefulness when they lose direction and begin to bend.
- People, like nails, lose their effectiveness when they lose direction and begin to bend.
Comments about Walter Savage Landor
- Maggiemackbooks: music is god's gift to man, the only art of heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven. - walter savage landor bach: cello suite no. 6 prelude in d major
- Hasudi: "it is as wise to moderate our belief as our desires." ~~~walter savage landor~~~
- Gail_friendzzz: “ambition is but avarice on stilts and masked.” — walter savage landor pusonglilaban ralphgail
- Stringbean460: biden and cnn held a town hall....and no one showed up to see it.
- Ficklefishfilms: "nothing is pleasanter than exploring a library." — walter savage landor