Who is Stevie SmithFlorence Margaret Smith, known as Stevie Smith (20 September 1902 – 7 March 1971), was an English poet and novelist.
Contents Life Stevie Smith, born Florence Margaret Smith in Kingston upon Hull, was the second daughter of Ethel and Charles Smith. She was called "Peggy" within her family, but acquired the name "Stevie" as a young woman when she was riding in the park with a friend who said that she reminded him of the jockey Steve Donoghue.
Her father was a shipping agent, a business that he had inherited from his father. As the company and his marriage began to fall apart, he ran away to sea and Smith saw v...
Read Full Biography
Stevie Smith Poems
- Conviction (iii)
The shadow was so black,
I thought it was a cat,
But once in to it
I knew it ...
- Deeply Morbid
Deeply morbid deeply morbid was the girl who typed the letters
Always out of office hours running with her social betters
But when daylight and the darkness of the office closed about her
Not for this ah not for this her office colleagues came to doubt her ...
- My Heart Was Full
My heart was full of softening showers,
I used to swing like this for hours,
I did not care for war or death,
I was glad to draw my breath....
Nobody knows what I feel about Freddy
I cannot make anyone understand
I love him sub specie aet ernitaties
I love him out of hand. ...
- Not Waving But Drowning
Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Stevie SmithNever 10 Love 10 I Love You 10 Thought 9 Alone 7 Heart 7 Mind 7 People 6 Feel 6 Night 6
Stevie Smith QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Stevie Smith
- Boxingknowledge: muhammad ali, buffy sainte-marie, floyd red crow westerman, harold smith, stevie wonder & marlon brando at the concert at the end of the longest walk, a 3,600-mile protest march from san francisco to washington, d.c., in the name of the native...
- Cratesofjr: at cratesofjr: d' laurent smith & singer romeo johnson bring new light to stevie wonder's "i believe"
- Hut_smith_36: brett favre and stevie nicks, two people everybody oughta like.
- Newyorker: stevie wonder was born on this day in 1950. "even in the brief periods when he is nowhere near a keyboard, wonder frequently seems to be mulling over music," giles smith wrote about the musician, in 1995.
- Whosampled: a happy 71st birthday to stevie wonder! explore over 2,000 samples, cover versions and remixes from artists including 2pac, coolio and will smith: