Who is Robert Wadsworth LowryRobert Lowry (March 12, 1826 – 25 November 1899) was an American preacher who became a popular writer of gospel music in the mid- to late-19th century. His best-known hymns include "Shall We Gather at the River", "Christ Arose!" and "Nothing But The Blood Of Jesus"'
Born in Philadelphia, Lowry studied at the University of Lewisburg and entered the Baptist ministry in 1854. During the following 45 years he held a number of pastorates in New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Between 1869 and 1875 he combined his pastoral work with a professorship in rhetoric at his alma mater, and later served as the University's chancellor. From 1868 he acted as hymnals editor to Biglow and Main, the country's leading publisher of gospel and Sunday School music; under his supervision ...
Read Full Biography
Robert Wadsworth Lowry Poems
- How Can I Keep From Singing?
My life flows on in endless song;
Above earthâ??s lamentation
I hear the sweet though far off hymn
That hails a new creation: ...
- Nothing But The Blood
What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus. ...
- Lead Them To Thee
Lead them, my God, to Thee,
Lead them to Thee,
These children dear of mine,
Thou gavest me. ...
- The Straying Sheep
How many sheep are straying
Lost from the Savior's fold!
Upon the lonely mountain, They shiver with the cold:
Within the tangled thickets, ...
- Low In The Grave He Lay
Low in the grave He lay, Jesus my Savior,
Waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!
Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph over His foes, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Robert Wadsworth LowryAway 4 God 4 Angel 4 Peace 4 Bright 4 Song 3 Earth 3 Death 3 Life 3 Forever 2
Robert Wadsworth Lowry Quotes
Comments about Robert Wadsworth Lowry
- Harshalbot: shall we gather at the river where bright angel feet have trod, with its crystal tide gor ever flowing by the throne of god? - robert wadsworth lowry
- Gregowalogist: didn't know how much i needed to hear trappist monks singing "how can i keep from singing?" this evening but 'twas good for the soul. the hymn was written by american baptist robert wadsworth lowry in the 19th century but was picked up by pete seeger in the 1950s and 60s...
- Stevenwhite28: my life flows on in endless song; above earth's lamentation, i hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn that hails a new creation; thro' all the tumult and the strife i hear the music ringing; it finds an echo in my soul— how can i keep from singing? (robert wadsworth lowry, 1868)
- Mymusicplace: camilla kerslake released her version of "how can i keep from singing?" in 2009. "how can i keep from singing?" is...
- Mmjkmusic: 'how can i keep from singing' is a christian hymn, originally written by baptist minister robert wadsworth lowry....