Who is Patrick KavanaghPatrick Kavanagh (21 October 1904 – 30 November 1967) was an Irish poet and novelist. His best-known works include the novel Tarry Flynn, and the poems "On Raglan Road" and "The Great Hunger". He is known for his accounts of Irish life through reference to the everyday and commonplace.
Contents Life and workEarly life Patrick Kavanagh was born in rural Inniskeen, County Monaghan, in 1904, the fourth of ten children of James Kavanagh and Bridget Quinn. His grandfather was a schoolteacher called "Kevany", which a local priest changed to "Kavanagh" at his baptism. The grandfather had to leave the area following a...
Read Full Biography
Patrick Kavanagh Poems
- Canal Bank Walk
Leafy-with-love banks and the green waters of the canal
Pouring redemption for me, that I do
The will of God, wallow in the habitual, the banal,
Grow with nature again as before I grew. ...
- My Father Played The Melodeon
My father played the melodeon
Outside at our gate,
There were stars in the morning east
And they danced to his music. ...
We are the children of light,
Wise, not companioned
In a condemned graveyard. ...
- On An Apple-ripe September Morning
On an apple-ripe September morning
Through the mist-chill fields I went
With a pitch-fork on my shoulder
Less for use than for devilment. ...
We have tested and tasted too much, lover-
Through a chink too wide there comes in no wonder.
But here in the Advent-darkened room
Where the dry black bread and the sugarless tea ...
Top 10 most used topics by Patrick KavanaghLife 8 World 7 Love 7 I Love You 7 Time 6 April Fools 6 Black 6 Mind 6 God 6 Child 6
Patrick Kavanagh Quotes
Comments about Patrick Kavanagh
- Nessanessaf: magnet4europe visit to patrick kavanagh ward misa from our twinning hospital long island jewish medical centre new york.
- Benmorrisactor: farmers bridge locks, birmingham: may morning based on inniskeen road: july evening by patrick kavanagh
- Harrywatson63: 'innocence' by patrick kavanagh they laughed at one i loved- the triangular hill that hung under the big forth. they said that i was bounded by the whitethorn hedges of the little farm and did not know the world...
- Appi3pi3: no way patrick kavanagh was ‘too good’ for hilda moriarty he didn’t even shower
- Galmoygaa: j j kavanagh and sons all county junior hurling lge rd 2 : 07mins 1st half galmoy : 0-1(1)patrick doyle naomh bríd : 0-2(2)