Who is Matsuo BashoMatsuo Bashō (松尾 芭蕉, 1644–1694), born 松尾 金作, then Matsuo Chūemon Munefusa (松尾 忠右衛門 宗房), was the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan. During his lifetime, Bashō was recognized for his works in the collaborative haikai no renga form; today, after centuries of commentary, he is recognized as the greatest master of haiku (then called hokku). Matsuo Bashō's poetry is internationally renowned; and, in Japan, many of his poems are reproduced on monuments and traditional sites. Although Bashō is justifiably famous in the West for his hokku, he himself believed his best work lay in leading and participating in renku. He is quoted as saying, "Many of my followers can write hokku as well as I can. Where I show who I really am is in link...
Read Full Biography
Matsuo Basho Poems
- Autumn Moonlight
a worm digs silently
into the chestnut.
- Winter Solitude
in a world of one color
the sound of wind.
- With Every Gust Of Wind
With every gust of wind,
the butterfly changes its place
on the willow.
- The Shallows
The shallows â??
a craneâ??s thighs splashed
in cool waves
scent of plum blossoms
on the misty mountain path
a big rising sun
Top 10 most used topics by Matsuo BashoWinter 12 Autumn 11 Rain 9 Moon 9 Morning 8 Cold 6 Wind 5 Snow 5 World 5 Butterfly 5
Matsuo Basho Quotes
- Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
- Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought.
Comments about Matsuo Basho
- Chikuchill: every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. - matsuo basho
- Jamesleejobe: there is nothing you can see that is not a flower; there is nothing you can think that is not the moon. -matsuo bashō
- Optimalternativ: terracemuse: along this road going with no one autumn evening . -matsuo basho 1644-1694-
- Estherhawdon: "the first cold shower even the monkey seems to want a little coat of straw" basho matsuo (images: left: koson ohara / shotei takahashi)
- Estherhawdon: "along this road goes no one, this autumn eve" basho matsuo "how lonely the road so straight ahead" santoka taneda (images: kaii higashiyama)