Who is John MasefieldJohn MasefieldJohn Masefield in 1916Poet Laureate of the United KingdomPreceded byRobert BridgesSucceeded byCecil Day-LewisPersonal detailsBorn(1878-06-01)1 J...
Read Full Biography
John Masefield Poems
- On Eastnor Knoll
Silent are the woods, and the dim green boughs are
Hushed in the twilight: yonder, in the path through
The apple orchard, is a tired plough-boy
Calling the cows home. ...
- The Yarn Of The Loch Achray
The Loch Achray was a clipper tall
With seven-and-twenty hands in all.
Twenty to hand and reef and haul,
A skipper to sail and mates to bawl ...
- A Night At Dago Tom's
Oh yesterday, I t'ink it was, while cruisin' down the street,
I met with Bill. "Hullo," he says, "let's give the girls a treat."
We'd red bandanas round our necks 'n' our shrouds new rattled down,
So we filled a couple of Santy Cruz and cleared for Sailor Town. ...
- On Growing Old
Be with me, Beauty, for the fire is dying;
My dog and I are old, too old for roving.
Man, whose young passion sets the spindrift flying,
Is soon too lame to march, too cold for loving. ...
- A Creed
I hold that when a person dies
His soul returns again to earth;
Arrayed in some new flesh-disguise
Another mother gives him birth. ...
Top 10 most used topics by John MasefieldSea 20 Red 17 Beauty 15 White 15 Earth 14 Long 14 Green 13 Home 12 Sky 12 Fire 12
John Masefield Quotes
- In this life he laughs longest who laughs last.
- Since the printing press came into being, poetry has ceased to be the delight of the whole community of man; it has become the amusement and delight of the few.
- There are few earthly things more beautiful than a university... a place where those who hate ignorance may strive to know, where those who perceive truth may strive to make others see.
Comments about John Masefield
- Rutharnold: john masefield said a university “will welcome thinkers in distress or in exile, will uphold ever the dignity of thought and learning, and will exact standards in these things.” some thinkers in exile escaped the holocaust. we should not now have to listen to it being denied.
- Amandaonwriting: quotable -john masefield, born 1 june 1878, died 12 may 1967. read more here:
- Yonkershistoric: 5/12/1967: english poet laureate john masefield died; he worked as a threader at the alexander smith carpet mills. http://t.co/6afpnlev4h
- Maccocktail: "in this life he laughs longest who laughs last." ― john masefield (died this day, may 12, 1967) http://t.co/7979dtcdbq
- Yonkershistoric: 5/12/1967: poet laureate of england john masefield died; he worked as a threader at the smith carpet mills. http://t.co/ftbqiyw76r