Who is Edna St. Vincent MillayEdna St. Vincent Millay (February 22, 1892 – October 19, 1950) was an American poet and playwright. She received the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923, the third woman to win the award for poetry, and was also known for her feminist activism. She used the pseudonym Nancy Boyd for her prose work. The poet Richard Wilbur asserted, "She wrote some of the best sonnets of the century."
Contents Early life Millay was born in Rockland, Maine, to Cora Lounella Buzelle, a nurse, and Henry Tolman Millay, a schoolteacher who would later become a superintendent of schools. Her middle name derives from St. Vincent's Hospital in New York, where h...
Read Full Biography
Edna St. Vincent Millay Poems
- Songs Of Shattering I
The first rose on my rose-tree
Budded, bloomed, and shattered,
During sad days when to me
Nothing mattered. ...
- Sonnets V
Once more into my arid days like dew,
Like wind from an oasis, or the sound
Of cold sweet water bubbling underground,
A treacherous messenger, the thought of you ...
- Sonnets Xi
As to some lovely temple, tenantless
Long since, that once was sweet with shivering brass,
Knowing well its altars ruined and the grass
Grown up between the stones, yet from excess ...
- Sonnets Viii
And you as well must die, beloved dust,
And all your beauty stand you in no stead;
This flawless, vital hand, this perfect head,
This body of flame and steel, before the gust ...
- Songs Of Shattering Iii
All the dog-wood blossoms are underneath the tree!
Ere spring was going--ah, spring is gone!
And there comes no summer to the like of you and me,--
Blossom time is early, but no fruit sets on. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edna St. Vincent MillayI Love You 70 Love 70 Never 46 Long 45 Sweet 43 Death 36 Night 35 Face 34 Heart 34 Wind 31
Edna St. Vincent Millay Quotes
- My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and oh, my friends, It gives a lovely light.
- It is not true that life is one damn thing after another- it is one damn thing over and over.
- My candle burns at both ends It will not last the night But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light.
- Please give me some good advice in your next letter. I promise not to follow it.
- Soar, eat ether, see what has never been seen depart, be lost, but climb.
Comments about Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Adonaig04362492: where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which i find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night i miss you like hell(edna st vincent millay) pienalo with eian day5
- Devika_brendon: documentary on edna st. vincent millay
- Scottorgan1: from dirge without music by edna st. vincent millay
- Iherb23voucher6: “they say when you’re missing someone that they’re probably feeling the same, but i don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as i’m missing you right now.” – edna st. vincent millay -->iherb
- Lauritadianita2: 2/3: “gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind; /quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave./ i know. but i do not approve. and i am not resigned.” - edna st. vincent millay