534. The Land Of Content I set out for the Land of Content,
By the gay crowded pleasure-highway,With laughter, and jesting, I went
535. The Jealous Gods ‘Oh life is wonderful,' she said,
‘And all my world is bright;Can Paradise show fairer skies,
536. The Hymn Of The Republic I have listened to the sighing of the burdened and the bound,
I have heard it change to crying, with a menace in the sound;I have seen the money-getters pass unheeding on the way,
537. The House Of Life All wondering, and eager-eyed, within her portico
I made my plea to Hostess Life, one morning long ago.
538. The Gossips A rose in my garden, the sweetest and fairest,
Was hanging her head through the long golden hours;And early one morning I saw her tears falling,
539. The Goal All roads that lead to God are good;
What matters it, your faith, or mine; Both centre at the goal divine
540. The Forecast It may be that I dreamed a dream; it may be that I saw
The forecast of a time to come by some supernal law.
541. The Englishman Born in the flesh, and bred in the bone,
Some of us harbour stillA New World pride: and we flaunt or hide
542. The Engine Into the gloom of the deep, dark night,
With panting breath and a startled scream;Swift as a bird in sudden flight
543. The Empty Bowl I held the golden vessel of my soul
And prayed that God would fill it from on high.Day after day the importuning cry
544. The Earth To build a house, with love for architect,
Ranks first and foremost in the joys of life.And in a tiny cabin, shaped for two,
545. The Cure You may talk of reformations, of the Economic Plan,
That shall stem the Social Evil in its course;But the Ancient Sin of nations, must be got at in THE MAN.
546. The Coquette Alone she sat with her accusing heart,
That, like a restless comrade, frightened sleep,And every thought that found her left a dart
547. The Christian’s New Year Prayer Thou Christ of mine, Thy gracious ear low bending
Through these glad New Year days,To catch the countless prayers to heaven ascending-
548. The Call In the banquet hall of Progress
God has bidden to a feastAll the women in the East.
549. The Birth Of Jealousy With brooding mien and sultry eyes,
Outside the gates of ParadiseEve sat, and fed the faggot flame