Who is Oscar WildeOscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish poet and playwright. After writing in different forms throughout the 1880s, he became one of London's most popular playwrights in the early 1890s. He is best remembered for his epigrams and plays, his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, and the circumstances of his criminal conviction for homosexuality, imprisonment, and early death at age 46.
Wilde's parents were successful Anglo-Irish intellectuals in Dublin. Their son became fluent in French and German early in life. At university, Wilde read Greats; he proved himself to be an outstanding classicist, first at Trinity College Dublin, then at Oxford. He became known for his involvement in the rising philosophy of aesthet...
Read Full Biography
Oscar Wilde Poems
- Réveillon Du Nouvel An
Le ciel est couvert clignotant rouge,
Les brumes et les ombres qui circulent fuient,
L'aube se lève de la mer
Comme une dame blanche dans son lit. ...
Der Himmel ist rot blinkend bedeckt,
Die Nebel und zirkulierenden Schatten fliehen,
Die Morgendämmerung steigt aus dem Meer,
Wie eine weiße Dame in ihrem Bett. ...
- La Nochebuena
EL cielo está cubierto de rojo intermitente,
Las nieblas y sombras circulantes huyen,
El amanecer se levanta del mar,
Como una dama blanca de su cama. ...
O goat-foot God of Arcady!
This modern world is grey and old, ...
- The Master
Now when the darkness came over the earth Joseph of Arimathea,
having lighted a torch of pinewood, passed down from the hill into
the valley. For he had business in his own home.
Top 10 most used topics by Oscar WildeLove 60 I Love You 60 Gold 57 White 57 Sea 55 God 48 Red 45 Hair 40 Life 39 Heart 38
Oscar Wilde Quotes
- Yet each man kills the thing he loves, By each let this be heard, Some do it with a bitter look, Some with a flattering word, The koward does it with a kiss, The brave man with a sword
- The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
- Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
- Missionaries are going to reform the world whether it wants to or not.
- I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
Comments about Oscar Wilde
- Poetofai: icarus melting "never regret thy fall, o icarus of the fearless flight for the greatest tragedy of them all is never to feel the burning light." - oscar wilde
- Stephenesummers: to have become a deeper man is the privilege of those who have suffered. ￼ oscar wilde
- Amybarnes00007: “the books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world it’s own shame.”- - - oscar wilde
- Yogimiehq: to live is the rarest thing in the world most people exist, that is all . ? oscar wilde
- Smilinggx: “to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people exist that’s all” - oscar wilde. this quote is my favorite frfr