Who is Edwin Arlington RobinsonEdwin Arlington Robinson (December 22, 1869 – April 6, 1935) was an American poet. Robinson won three Pulitzer Prizes for his work, and was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature four times.
Early life Robinson was born in Head Tide, Lincoln County, Maine, but his family moved to Gardiner, Maine, in 1871. He described his childhood in Maine as "stark and unhappy". His parents were Edward and Mary née Palmer. They had wanted a girl, and did not name him until he was six months old, when they visited a holiday resort—at which point other vacationers decided that he should have a name, and selected the name "Edwin" from a hat containing a random set of boy's names. The man who drew the name was from Arlington, Massachusetts, so "Arlington" was used f...
Read Full Biography
Edwin Arlington Robinson Poems
- Ballad Of Dead Friends
As we the withered ferns
By the roadway lying,
Time, the jester, spurns
All our prayers and prying -- ...
- Captain Craig
I doubt if ten men in all Tilbury Town
Had ever shaken hands with Captain Craig, ...
- Ballad Of Broken Flutes
In dreams I crossed a barren land,
A land of ruin, far away;
Around me hung on every hand
A deathful stillness of decay; ...
- Vickery's Mountain
Blue in the west the mountain stands,
And through the long twilight
Vickery sits with folded hands,
And Vickeryâ??s eyes are bright. ...
- An Old Story
Strange that I did not know him then.
That friend of mine!
I did not even show him then
One friendly sign; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edwin Arlington RobinsonNever 102 Long 101 Time 98 God 89 Light 83 Life 83 Away 80 World 76 Night 70 Alone 69
Edwin Arlington Robinson Quotes
Comments about Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Glasshalfarsed: what is your favourite poem? — i don't read much poetry but i've always liked "richard cory" by edwin arlington robinson, and the simon & garfunkel song based on it
- Humbleseeker1: “two kinds of gratitude: the sudden kind we feel for what we take. the larger kind we feel for what we give.” – edwin arlington robinson the larger kind; the better.
- Anglvqlr: richard cory by edwin arlington robinson
- Personaldevel_: life is the game that must be played. -edwin arlington robinson via wise life lesson
- Bennettlanu: ''love must have wings to fly away from love, and to fly back again'' edwin arlington robinson