Who is Jonathan SwiftJonathan Swift (30 November 1667 – 19 October 1745) was an Anglo-Irish satirist, essayist, political pamphleteer (first for the Whigs, then for the Tories), poet and cleric who became Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.
Swift is remembered for works such as A Tale of a Tub (1704), An Argument Against Abolishing Christianity (1712), Gulliver's Travels (1726), and A Modest Proposal (1729). He is regarded by the Encyclopædia Britannica as the foremost prose satirist in the English language, and is less well known for his poetry. He originally published all of his works under pseudonyms – such as Lemuel Gulliver, Isaac Bickerstaff, M. B. Drapier – or anonymously. He was a master of two styles of satire, the Horatian and Juvenalian styles.
His deadpan, i...
Read Full Biography
Jonathan Swift Poems
- A Quibbling Elegy On Judge Boat
To mournful ditties, Clio, change thy note,
Since cruel fate has sunk our Justice Boat;
Why should he sink, where nothing seem'd to press
His lading little, and his ballast less? ...
- Traulus. Part I
A DIALOGUE BETWEEN TOM AND ROBIN
- The Answer. By Dr. Swift
Lindsay mistakes the matter quite,
And honest Paulus judges right.
Then, why these quarrels to the sun,
Without whose aid you're all undone? ...
- To Stella
WRITTEN ON THE DAY OF HER BIRTH, MARCH 13, 1723-4, BUT NOT ON THE SUBJECT, WHEN I WAS SICK IN BED
Tormented with incessant pains,
Can I devise poetic strains? ...
- Clad All In Brown
Foulest brute that stinks below,
Why in this brown dost thou appear? ...
Top 10 most used topics by Jonathan SwiftGood 115 Great 89 Long 84 Place 81 Head 80 True 76 Wise 72 High 65 Face 63 Thought 62
Jonathan Swift Quotes
- It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.
- May you live all the days of your life.
- I row after health like a waterman...
- Ambition often puts men upon doing the meanest offices so climbing is performed in the same posture with creeping.
- When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
Comments about Jonathan Swift
- Pointmanc: jonathan swift: "when a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
- Kodreall: "may you live all the days of your life." -jonathan swift forza is for kodrea
- Tacobender29: he was a bold man that first ate an oyster. jonathan swift
- Odaction_news: carlson drew swift condemnations for his comments about voter replacement, which adl ceo jonathan greenblatt called an open-ended endorsement of white supremacist ideology. today's od action daily email is out!
- Robwk: our jonathan swift.