Who is Delmore SchwartzDelmore Schwartz (December 8, 1913 – July 11, 1966) was an American poet and short story writer.
Early life Schwartz was born in 1913 in Brooklyn, New York, where he also grew up. His parents, Harry and Rose, both Romanian Jews, separated when Schwartz was nine, and their divorce had a profound effect on him. He had a younger brother, Kenneth. In 1930, Schwartz's father suddenly died at the age of 49. Though Harry had accumulated a good deal of wealth from his dealings in the real estate business, Delmore inherited only a small amount of that money as the result of the shady dealings of the executor of Harry's estate. According to Schwartz's biographer, James Atlas, "Delmore continued to hope that he would eventually receive his legacy [even] as late as 1...
Read Full Biography
Delmore Schwartz Poems
When I fall asleep, and even during sleep,
I hear, quite distinctly, voices speaking
Whole phrases, commonplace and trivial,
Having no relation to my affairs. ...
- Dogs Are Shakespearean, Children Are Strangers
Dogs are Shakespearean, children are strangers.
Let Freud and Wordsworth discuss the child,
Angels and Platonists shall judge the dog,
The running dog, who paused, distending nostrils, ...
- In The Naked Bed, In Plato's Cave
In the naked bed, in Plato's cave,
Reflected headlights slowly slid the wall,
Carpenters hammered under the shaded window,
Wind troubled the window curtains all night long, ...
- Poem (in The Morning, When It Was Raining)
In the morning, when it was raining,
Then the birds were hectic and loudy;
Through all the reign is fall's entertaining;
Their singing was erratic and full of disorder: ...
- Poem (old Man In The Crystal Morning After Snow)
Old man in the crystal morning after snow,
Your throat swathed in a muffler, your bent
Figure building the snow man which is meant
For the grandchild's target, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Delmore SchwartzLove 22 I Love You 22 Night 21 Long 21 Death 20 Time 20 White 20 Great 19 Heart 18 Sea 16
Delmore Schwartz Quotes
- Even paranoids have real enemies.
- Love is the most difficult and dangerous form of courage. Courage is the most desperate, admirable and noble kind of love.
- Major writing is to say what has been seen, so that it need never be said again.
Comments about Delmore Schwartz
- Southcitytheatr: silent characters are characters who are never seen onstage but whose presence drives the action. delmore schwartz, an american poet, figures prominently in the plot of collected stories. learn more about him here:
- Ptuns: gertrude buckman, wife of the poet delmore schwartz said lowell "was to the end of his life emotionally undeveloped and irresponsible." and yet, his life wasn't all that interesting, outside of his relationships with other poets & the kennedys. (he hit on jacqueline kennedy.)
- Skylahoncebit: the velvet underground & nico - european son to delmore schwartz (1967)
- Brett_327: nearby, the sun sets upon snow covered granite peaks of the sierra nevada, as it has for the last 66 million years. “time is the fire in which we burn.” - delmore schwartz
- Aeneas_nin: for your consideration on this fine april day, a favorite poem of mine by delmore schwartz: