Who is Dorothy ParkerDorothy Parker (née Rothschild; August 22, 1893 – June 7, 1967) was an American poet, writer, critic, and satirist based in New York; she was best known for her wit, wisecracks, and eye for 20th-century urban foibles.
From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary works published in such magazines as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table. Following the breakup of the circle, Parker traveled to Hollywood to pursue screenwriting. Her successes there, including two Academy Award nominations, were curtailed when her involvement in left-wing politics resulted in her being placed on the Hollywood blacklist.
Dismissive of her own talents, she deplored her reputation as a "wisecracker". Neverthe...
Read Full Biography
Dorothy Parker Poems
- D.g. Rossetti
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Buried all of his libretti,
Thought the matter over - then
Went and dug them up again....
- The Passionate Freudian To His Love
Only name the day, and we'll fly away
In the face of old traditions,
To a sheltered spot, by the world forgot,
Where we'll park our inhibitions. ...
- Parties: A Hymn Of Hate
I hate Parties;
They bring out the worst in me.
There is the Novelty Affair,
Given by the woman ...
- The Dark Girl's Rhyme
Who was there had seen us
Wouldn't bid him run?
Heavy lay between us
All our sires had done. ...
- The Lady's Reward
Lady, lady, never start
Conversation toward your heart;
Keep your pretty words serene;
Never murmur what you mean. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Dorothy ParkerHeart 76 Love 68 I Love You 68 Never 57 Away 32 Young 28 Sweet 27 Night 27 Dear 26 Lady 22
Dorothy Parker Quotes
- That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.
- Trapped, like a trap in a trap.
- Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
- Coolidge is dead" "How could they tell?
Comments about Dorothy Parker
- Dtnetiquette: never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be. ~ dorothy parker
- Itosha: this, from the moth: 'but i don't give up; i forget why not.' –dorothy parker.
- Drbang_wx: one of my favorite quotes from dorothy parker: "i hate writing. but love having written"
- User9888: "they sicken of the calm, those who knew the storm."- dorothy parker
- Motivationalui: "they sicken of the calm, those who knew the storm."- dorothy parker
Write your comment about Dorothy Parker
bryleigh: are you a poem maker?
sharon harville: my favorite quote of hers was 'So go my love, your newer way. I will not be left in sorrow. As long as I have yesterday, Go take your damned tomorrows.