Who is Dante Gabriel RossettiGabriel Charles Dante Rossetti (12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882), generally known as Dante Gabriel Rossetti (/rəˈzɛti/), was a British poet, illustrator, painter and translator, and a member of the Rossetti family. He founded the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood in 1848 with William Holman Hunt and John Everett Millais. Rossetti was later to be the main inspiration for a second generation of artists and writers influenced by the movement, most notably William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones. His work also influenced the European Symbolists and was a major precursor of the Aesthetic movement.
Rossetti's art was characterised by its sensuality and its medieval revivalism. His early poetry was influenced by John Keats. His later poetry was characterised by the complex interli...
Read Full Biography
Dante Gabriel Rossetti Poems
- Sonnet Iv: Lovesight
When do I see thee most, beloved one?
When in the light the spirits of mine eyes
Before thy face, their altar, solemnize
The worship of that Love through thee made known? ...
- Sonnet Xxviii: Soul-light
What other woman could be loved like you,
Or how of you should love possess his fill?
After the fulness of all rapture, still,â??
As at the end of some deep avenue ...
- Sonnet Xxii: Heart's Haven
Sometimes she is a child within mine arms,
Cowering beneath dark wings that love must chase,â??
With still tears showering and averted face,
Inexplicably filled with faint alarms: ...
- Sonnet Xcv: The Vase Of Life
Around the vase of Life at your slow pace
He has not crept, but turned it with his hands,
And all its sides already understands.
There, girt, one breathes alert for some great race; ...
- Sonnet Liv: Love's Fatality
Sweet Love,â??but oh! most dread Desire of Love
Life-thwarted. Linked in gyves I saw them stand,
Love shackled with Vain-longing, hand to hand:
And one was eyed as the blue vault above: ...
Top 10 most used topics by Dante Gabriel RossettiI Love You 210 Love 210 Heart 165 Life 161 Soul 137 Face 128 Death 115 Night 114 Sweet 103 Sonnet 90
Dante Gabriel Rossetti QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Otherhalfpod: joan of arc was a popular subject for pre-raphaelite painters, who were drawn to her devotion and tragic story. this painting, joan kissing the sword of deliverance, was painted in 1863 by dante gabriel rossetti.
- Artist_rossetti: how sir galahad, sir bors and sir percival were fed with the sanct grael; but sir percival’s sister died by the way, dante gabriel rossetti, 1864
- Artist_rossetti: study for ‘giotto painting the portrait of dante’, dante gabriel rossetti, 1852
- Insiderrogue: know the artist: dante gabriel rossetti
- Artist_rossetti: maids of elfen-mere, engraved by the dalziel brothers, dante gabriel rossetti, 1855