Who is Matthew PriorWhen the Queen died and the Whigs regained power, he was impeached by Robert Walpole and kept in close custody for two years (1715–1717). In 1709, he had already published a collection of verse. During this imprisonment, maintaining his cheerful philosophy, he wrote his longest humorous poem, Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. This, along with his most ambitious work, Solomon, and other Poems on several Occasions, was published by subscription in 1718. The sum received for this volume (4000 guineas), with a present of £4000 from Lord Harley, enabled him to live in comfort; but he did not long survive his enforced retirement from public life, although he bore his ups and downs with rare equanimity. He died at Wimpole, Cambridgeshire, a seat of the Earl of Oxford, and was ...
Read Full Biography
Matthew Prior Poems
- Remedy Worse Than The Disease, A
I sent for Ratcliffe; was so ill,
That other doctors gave me over:
He felt my pulse, prescribed his pill,
And I was likely to recover. ...
- An Ode - Humbly Inscribed To The Queen, On The Glorious Success Of Her Majesty's Arms
When great Augustus govern'd ancient Rome,
And sent his conquering bands to foreign wars,
Abroad when dreaded, and beloved at home,
He saw his fame increasing with his years, ...
- Pallas And Venus. An Epigram
The Trojan swain had judged the great dispute,
And beauty's power obtain'd the golden fruit,
When Venus, loose in all her naked charms,
Met Jove's great daughter clad in shining arms, ...
- Written In The Nouveaux Interests Des Princes De L'europe
Bless'd be the princes who have fought
For pompous names or wide dominion,
Since by their error we are taught
That happiness is but opinion....
- On The Same Person (who Wrote Ill, And Spake Worse, Against Me)
While faster than his costive brain indites
Philo's quick hand in flowing letters writes;
His case appears to me like honest Teague's,
When he was run away with by his legs. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Matthew PriorLove 80 I Love You 80 Heart 62 Great 53 Never 49 Power 47 Dear 46 Good 46 God 44 Fate 43
Matthew Prior Quotes
- They always talk who never think.
- Be to her virtues very kind. Be to her faults a little blind.
- The ends must justify the means.
- They talk most who have the least to say.
Comments about Matthew Prior
- Jcimburek: matthew will be recognized prior to today's regular season finale against douglas. game time set for 3:30 p.m.
- Agpolicywonk: us loses 7% of dairies-annual number of licensed dairy farms for 2020 which was down more than 2,500 from the prior year, or 8%. in the midwest, wisconsin lost the most dairy farms, down 610, followed by minnesota, down 380, and pennsylvania, down 300.
- Jm_szuba: kirby declines to discuss range of options presented to pres. biden prior to the strike. "it is incumbent on the president.... to protect our people." says strike was directed at groups' abilities to launch attacks against us personnel.
- Matthew_podszus: is it too soon to be called a “swallow prior evangelical”? has anybody seen george marsden lately?
- Frhilderbrand: prior pastors: donate handwritten icons or homemade dinner to the st. matthew parish auction my donation: