Who is Matthew PriorWhen the Queen died and the Whigs regained power, he was impeached by Robert Walpole and kept in close custody for two years (1715–1717). In 1709, he had already published a collection of verse. During this imprisonment, maintaining his cheerful philosophy, he wrote his longest humorous poem, Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. This, along with his most ambitious work, Solomon, and other Poems on several Occasions, was published by subscription in 1718. The sum received for this volume (4000 guineas), with a present of £4000 from Lord Harley, enabled him to live in comfort; but he did not long survive his enforced retirement from public life, although he bore his ups and downs with rare equanimity. He died at Wimpole, Cambridgeshire, a seat of the Earl of Oxford, and was ...
Read Full Biography
Matthew Prior Poems
- Remedy Worse Than The Disease, A
I sent for Ratcliffe; was so ill,
That other doctors gave me over:
He felt my pulse, prescribed his pill,
And I was likely to recover. ...
- An Ode - Humbly Inscribed To The Queen, On The Glorious Success Of Her Majesty's Arms
When great Augustus govern'd ancient Rome,
And sent his conquering bands to foreign wars,
Abroad when dreaded, and beloved at home,
He saw his fame increasing with his years, ...
- Pallas And Venus. An Epigram
The Trojan swain had judged the great dispute,
And beauty's power obtain'd the golden fruit,
When Venus, loose in all her naked charms,
Met Jove's great daughter clad in shining arms, ...
- Written In The Nouveaux Interests Des Princes De L'europe
Bless'd be the princes who have fought
For pompous names or wide dominion,
Since by their error we are taught
That happiness is but opinion....
- On The Same Person (who Wrote Ill, And Spake Worse, Against Me)
While faster than his costive brain indites
Philo's quick hand in flowing letters writes;
His case appears to me like honest Teague's,
When he was run away with by his legs. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Matthew PriorLove 80 I Love You 80 Heart 62 Great 53 Never 49 Power 47 Dear 46 Good 46 God 44 Fate 43
Matthew Prior Quotes
- They always talk who never think.
- Be to her virtues very kind. Be to her faults a little blind.
- The ends must justify the means.
- They talk most who have the least to say.
Comments about Matthew Prior
- Soberokie: imagine being like ol’ reggie here. posting the “sec” chant while attaching a gif of matthew mcconaughey cheering prior to a texas loss to lsu
- Chanchaskasport: section 2aaa cross country boys standings: tonka 32*, edina 41*, eden prairie 93, prior lake 139, chan 144, chaska 153, waconia 156, shakopee 159 qualifiers: hootie hage (pl), nolan sutter (chaska), matthew holje (ep), thomas simmonds (pl), tyler doolittle (ep), nolan bakken (ep)
- Matthew_goguen: prior to the colts, houston had a minor league team from 1888-1961 with several monikers including the babies, mud cats, magnolias, lambs, marvels, hands, mud cats (again), before settling on the buffaloes from 1908-1961.
- Mtmehan: the military is is threatening soldiers, who have conscientious or religious objection to taking the vaccine, w/ termination & suits for all prior investment (est. $425k for college, for instance). this is no way to treat service members; no way to treat anyone. truly staggering.
- Nicholasrfish: 40% of ohio students qualify for free or reduced price school lunches. 1 in 5 kids live in poverty. 42,000 kids don't have health insurance, the third highest rate in the country, and an increase of 40% from two years prior. but sure, it's crt or whatever that's the real problem.