Who is Christopher SmartChristopher Smart (11 April 1722 – 21 May 1771), was an English poet.
He was a major contributor to two popular magazines and a friend to influential cultural icons like Samuel Johnson and Henry Fielding. Smart, a high church Anglican, was widely known throughout London.
Smart was infamous as the pseudonymous midwife "Mrs. Mary Midnight" and widespread accounts of his father-in-law, John Newbery, locking him away in a mental asylum for many years over Smart's supposed religious "mania". Even after Smart's eventual release, a negative reputation continued to pursue him as he was known for incurring more debt than he could repay; this ultimately led to his confinement in debtors' prison until his death.
Smart's two most widely known works are A ...
Read Full Biography
Christopher Smart Poems
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 2
LET PETER rejoice with the MOON FISH who keeps up the life in the waters by night.
Let Andrew rejoice with the Whale, who is array'd in beauteous blue and is a combination of bulk and activity.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 3
For a Man is to be looked upon in that which he excells as on a prospect.
For there be twelve cardinal virtues -- three to the East -- Greatness, Valour, Piety.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 1
Let Elizur rejoice with the Partridge, who is a prisoner of state and is proud of his keepers.
Let Shedeur rejoice with Pyrausta, who dwelleth in a medium of fire, which God hath adapted for him.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment A
Rejoice in God, O ye Tongues; give the glory to the Lord, and the Lamb.
Nations, and languages, and every Creature, in which is the breath of Life.
- Where's The Poker?
The poker lost, poor Susan storm'd,
And all the rites of rage perform'd;
As scolding, crying, swearing, sweating,
Abusing, fidgetting, and fretting. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Christopher SmartGod 14 Good 14 Life 13 I Love You 11 Great 11 Love 11 Poor 10 Night 9 Earth 9 Sun 9
Christopher Smart Quotes
Comments about Christopher Smart
- Blackeyedcat69: christopher wray gets his prostate examined. be smart, be like christopher wray and get your prostate examined.
- Cryptodivein: but at some point, we realized that christopher mccandless had said a very smart thing: happiness is only real when shared. we applied his quote to our idea for a business with the aim to prove that running a successful business is ultimately about helping others.
- Marysoonlee: ... "the daily poet" being a handy set of poetry writing prompts. in this case, the prompt was to write about a bus station/train station/airport. the poem was also partly inspired by christopher smart's "jubilate agno," which i first encountered via a poem by simon barraclough.
- Imrickiem: always team a. i don't know those last ones on both lists. but smart money is always on christopher george latore wallace.
- Etechne: for my fellow adventurers: christopher smart and christine kim.