Who is Christopher SmartChristopher Smart (11 April 1722 – 21 May 1771), was an English poet.
He was a major contributor to two popular magazines and a friend to influential cultural icons like Samuel Johnson and Henry Fielding. Smart, a high church Anglican, was widely known throughout London.
Smart was infamous as the pseudonymous midwife "Mrs. Mary Midnight" and widespread accounts of his father-in-law, John Newbery, locking him away in a mental asylum for many years over Smart's supposed religious "mania". Even after Smart's eventual release, a negative reputation continued to pursue him as he was known for incurring more debt than he could repay; this ultimately led to his confinement in debtors' prison until his death.
Smart's two most widely known works are A ...
Read Full Biography
Christopher Smart Poems
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 2
LET PETER rejoice with the MOON FISH who keeps up the life in the waters by night.
Let Andrew rejoice with the Whale, who is array'd in beauteous blue and is a combination of bulk and activity.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 3
For a Man is to be looked upon in that which he excells as on a prospect.
For there be twelve cardinal virtues -- three to the East -- Greatness, Valour, Piety.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 1
Let Elizur rejoice with the Partridge, who is a prisoner of state and is proud of his keepers.
Let Shedeur rejoice with Pyrausta, who dwelleth in a medium of fire, which God hath adapted for him.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment A
Rejoice in God, O ye Tongues; give the glory to the Lord, and the Lamb.
Nations, and languages, and every Creature, in which is the breath of Life.
- Where's The Poker?
The poker lost, poor Susan storm'd,
And all the rites of rage perform'd;
As scolding, crying, swearing, sweating,
Abusing, fidgetting, and fretting. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Christopher SmartGod 14 Good 14 Life 13 I Love You 11 Great 11 Love 11 Poor 10 Night 9 Earth 9 Sun 9
Christopher Smart Quotes
Comments about Christopher Smart
- Eluttwak: a german journalist covering the floods in china was harassed by an impromptu mob. most chinese are smart enough to ignore official propaganda but the super-polemical anti-western (& anti-japan & anti-india) climate generated by xi jinping & minions is eroding chinese courtesy
- Gaysmelliott: i've had this gif saved for years but i never realised it's from cuckoo's nest and it's christopher lloyd, i am not very smart
- Janeeliothardy: rip darling boris, one of the best, a very comforting cat and the spirit of roupell street. sad but remembering a very happy life with the bennetts. also him sitting on the stairs at night to protect us all. look at poem 'for i will consider my cat jeoffrey' by christopher smart.
- Cahckslap: tony saw this as a way for him to keep christopher in line and told him that the cop was dickies killer. remember tony and chris had a falling out with the jackie jr situation in the previous season. tony soprano very smart very manipulative.
- Quorumcall: sen. murphy: manufacturing is connecticut's future, if we're smart about it