Who is Christopher SmartChristopher Smart (11 April 1722 – 21 May 1771), was an English poet.
He was a major contributor to two popular magazines and a friend to influential cultural icons like Samuel Johnson and Henry Fielding. Smart, a high church Anglican, was widely known throughout London.
Smart was infamous as the pseudonymous midwife "Mrs. Mary Midnight" and widespread accounts of his father-in-law, John Newbery, locking him away in a mental asylum for many years over Smart's supposed religious "mania". Even after Smart's eventual release, a negative reputation continued to pursue him as he was known for incurring more debt than he could repay; this ultimately led to his confinement in debtors' prison until his death.
Smart's two most widely known works are A ...
Read Full Biography
Christopher Smart Poems
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 2
LET PETER rejoice with the MOON FISH who keeps up the life in the waters by night.
Let Andrew rejoice with the Whale, who is array'd in beauteous blue and is a combination of bulk and activity.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 3
For a Man is to be looked upon in that which he excells as on a prospect.
For there be twelve cardinal virtues -- three to the East -- Greatness, Valour, Piety.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment B, Part 1
Let Elizur rejoice with the Partridge, who is a prisoner of state and is proud of his keepers.
Let Shedeur rejoice with Pyrausta, who dwelleth in a medium of fire, which God hath adapted for him.
- Jubilate Agno: Fragment A
Rejoice in God, O ye Tongues; give the glory to the Lord, and the Lamb.
Nations, and languages, and every Creature, in which is the breath of Life.
- Where's The Poker?
The poker lost, poor Susan storm'd,
And all the rites of rage perform'd;
As scolding, crying, swearing, sweating,
Abusing, fidgetting, and fretting. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Christopher SmartGod 14 Good 14 Life 13 I Love You 11 Great 11 Love 11 Poor 10 Night 9 Earth 9 Sun 9
Christopher Smart Quotes
Comments about Christopher Smart
- Smart_and_out: if you identified with one of the winnie the pooh characters (excluding christopher robin) as a child, you’re neurodivergent/mentally ill now.
- Josiehendrix18: are you a phd student interested in energy materials? work with christopher! he is a smart, kind, and patient mentor, and would be a joy to have for a pi.
- Fruityzorganic: how to find fun in seconds
- Bw_christopher: my colleagues are smart and successful and i in no way begrudge the research dollars they bring in, but these research budgets, for humanities/social science research, could fund literally 35 entry-level tenure track positions at my institution.
- Gorbachev_simp: christopher nolan but he has an email address and smart phone. can you imagine?