Who is William Wilfred CampbellWilliam Wilfred Campbell (1 June ca. 1860 – 1 January 1918) was a Canadian poet. He is often classed as one of the country's Confederation Poets, a group that included fellow Canadians Charles G.D. Roberts, Bliss Carman, Archibald Lampman, and Duncan Campbell Scott; he was a colleague of Lampman and Scott. By the end of the 19th century, he was considered the "unofficial poet laureate of Canada." Although not as well known as the other Confederation poets today, Campbell was a "versatile, interesting writer" who was influenced by Robert Burns, the English Romantics, Edgar Allan Poe, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Thomas Carlyle, and Alfred Tennyson. Inspired by these writers, Campbell expressed his own religious idealism in traditional forms and genres.
Read Full Biography
William Wilfred Campbell Poems
- To A Robin In November
Sweet, sweet and the soft listening heaven reels
In one blue ecstasy above thy song
In the red heart of all the opening year,
In the hushed murmur of low dreaming fields ...
- The Winter Lakes
Out in a world of death far to the northward lying,
Under the sun and the moon, under the dusk and the day;
Under the glimmer of stars and the purple of sunsets dying,
Wan and waste and white, stretch the great lakes away. ...
- The Higher Kinship
Life is too grim with anxious, eating care
To cherish what is best. Our souls are scarred
By daily agonies, and our conscience marred
By petty tyrannies that waste and wear. ...
- The Dread Voyage
1 Trim the sails the weird stars underâ??
2 Past the iron hail and thunder,
3 Past the mystery and the wonder,
4 Sails our fated bark; ...
- Canadian Folksong
The doors are shut, the windows fast;
Outside the gust is driving past,
Outside the shivering ivy clings,
While on the hob the kettle sings. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William Wilfred CampbellNight 18 I Love You 17 Love 17 Earth 15 Great 15 Wind 14 Moon 14 Dream 14 World 13 Red 13
William Wilfred Campbell Quotes
Comments about William Wilfred Campbell
- Bwfcvision: wilfred addison, wilfred allison, 19, fred battersby, 31, james battersby, 33, robert bentham, 33, henry bimson, 59, henry ratcliffe birtwistle, 14, john t. blackshaw, w. braidwood, 40, fred campbell, 33, fred price dearden, 67, william evans, 33, winston finch,
- Bryonyseries: moons that glimmer above, waters that lie white under, miles and miles of lake far out under the night; foaming crests of waves, surfs that shoreward thunder, shadowy shapes that flee, haunting the spaces white. the winter lakes by william wilfred campbell
- Agfreeagent: "along the line of smoky hills the crimson forest stands, and all the day the blue-jay calls throughout the autumn lands." william wilfred campbell
- Leeannhowlettvo: indian summer : william wilfred campbell : free download, borrow, and streaming : internet archive
- Foodfarmnews: third stanza of indian summer (when it wasn't a politically incorrect statement) by william wilfred campbell.