Who is William MorrisWilliam Morris (24 March 1834 – 3 October 1896) was a British textile designer, poet, novelist, translator, and socialist activist associated with the British Arts and Crafts Movement. He was a major contributor to the revival of traditional British textile arts and methods of production. His literary contributions helped to establish the modern fantasy genre, while he played a significant role propagating the early socialist movement in Britain.
Morris was born in Walthamstow, Essex to a wealthy middle-class family. He came under the strong influence of medievalism while studying Classics at Oxford University, there joining the Birmingham Set. After university, he trained as an architect, married Jane Burden, and developed close friendships with Pre-Raphaelite a...
Read Full Biography
William Morris Poems
- The Chapel In Lyoness
SIR OZANA LE CURE HARDY. SIR GALAHAD. SIR BORS DE GANYS.
- Agnes And The Hill-man. Translated From The Danish
Agnes went through the meadows a-weeping,
Fowl are a-singing.
There stood the hill-man heed thereof keeping.
Agnes, fair Agnes! ...
- The Wind
Ah! no, no, it is nothing, surely nothing at all,
Only the wild-going wind round by the garden-wall,
For the dawn just now is breaking, the wind beginning to fall.
- The March Of The Workers
What is this, the sound and rumour? What is this that all men hear,
Like the wind in hollow valleys when the storm is drawing near,
Like the rolling on of ocean in the eventide of fear?
'Tis the people marching on. ...
- Old Love
You must be very old, Sir Giles,
I said; he said: Yea, very old!
Whereat the mournfullest of smiles
Creased his dry skin with many a fold. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William MorrisLove 65 I Love You 65 Long 63 Good 58 Sweet 49 Life 47 Face 47 World 46 Earth 45 Night 45
William Morris Quotes
Comments about William Morris
- Aaronstarmer: i was gonna get a talent agent and sell it! i must've bought a copy of writer's market and scoured the limited online resources for agent lists. i didn't know william morris from morris the cat and i didn't have a clue about los angeles geography. so...
- Morrissocietyus: read the full announcement here
- Beyondships: william morris is famous for his designs but he was also a poet and pre-raphaelite artist.
- Udlibrary: “i began printing books with the hope of producing some which would have a definite claim to beauty.” - william morris, british artist and designer explore works from the kelmscott press and morris’ career, which both helped reform the art of bookmaking:
- Theunmumsymum: mentioned william morris (in context of wallpaper and decorating) today and my husband said, “wasn’t he braveheart?”