Who is William MorrisWilliam Morris (24 March 1834 – 3 October 1896) was a British textile designer, poet, novelist, translator, and socialist activist associated with the British Arts and Crafts Movement. He was a major contributor to the revival of traditional British textile arts and methods of production. His literary contributions helped to establish the modern fantasy genre, while he played a significant role propagating the early socialist movement in Britain.
Morris was born in Walthamstow, Essex to a wealthy middle-class family. He came under the strong influence of medievalism while studying Classics at Oxford University, there joining the Birmingham Set. After university, he trained as an architect, married Jane Burden, and developed close friendships with Pre-Raphaelite a...
Read Full Biography
William Morris Poems
- The Chapel In Lyoness
SIR OZANA LE CURE HARDY. SIR GALAHAD. SIR BORS DE GANYS.
- Agnes And The Hill-man. Translated From The Danish
Agnes went through the meadows a-weeping,
Fowl are a-singing.
There stood the hill-man heed thereof keeping.
Agnes, fair Agnes! ...
- The Wind
Ah! no, no, it is nothing, surely nothing at all,
Only the wild-going wind round by the garden-wall,
For the dawn just now is breaking, the wind beginning to fall.
- The March Of The Workers
What is this, the sound and rumour? What is this that all men hear,
Like the wind in hollow valleys when the storm is drawing near,
Like the rolling on of ocean in the eventide of fear?
'Tis the people marching on. ...
- Old Love
You must be very old, Sir Giles,
I said; he said: Yea, very old!
Whereat the mournfullest of smiles
Creased his dry skin with many a fold. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William MorrisLove 65 I Love You 65 Long 63 Good 58 Sweet 49 Life 47 Face 47 World 46 Earth 45 Night 45
William Morris Quotes
Comments about William Morris
- Malloryy_rosee: i care about 4 men: eric william morris, george salazar, jason tam, and gerard canonico. i stand by that
- Antiquebasket: william morris standen lodden in teal print mask reversible, cloth face mask, non-medical grade reusable,
- Pstubblefield: "the true secret of happiness lies in the taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life..." ~ william morris ―
- Agrippapublius: see also, the great william morris and the great george macdonald
- Jembloomfield: the roof of the car after frost. i know what you're thinking, and yes, i would absolutely have a car crew do some william morris-style work on it, if i had the cash and inclination. but this is all natural.