Who is William Carlos WilliamsWilliam Carlos Williams (September 17, 1883 – March 4, 1963) was an American poet and physician closely associated with modernism and imagism.
In addition to his writing, Williams had a long career as a physician practicing both pediatrics and general medicine. He was affiliated with Passaic General Hospital, where he served as the hospital's chief of pediatrics from 1924 until his death. The hospital, which is now known as St. Mary's General Hospital, paid tribute to Williams with a memorial plaque that states "we walk the wards that Williams walked".
Life and career Williams was born in Rutherford, New Jersey to an English father and Puerto Rican mother of partial French descent. His work has a great affinity with painting, in which he had a l...
Read Full Biography
William Carlos Williams Poems
- Peasant Wedding
Pour the wine bridegroom
where before you the
bride is enthroned her hair
- The Spouts
In this world of
as fine a pair of breasts
as ever I saw
the fountain in ...
- The Yachts
contend in a sea which the land partly encloses
shielding them from the too-heavy blows
of an ungoverned ocean which when it chooses
- Kora In Hell: Improvisations I
Fools have big wombs. For the rest?â??here is pennyroyal if one knows to use it. But time is only another liar, so go along the wall a little further: if blackberries prove bitter there'll be mushrooms, fairy- ring mushrooms, in the grass, sweetest of all fungi. ...
- On A Proposed Trip South
They tell me on the morrow I must leave
This winter eyrie for a southern flight
And truth to tell I tremble with delight
At thought of such unheralded reprieve. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William Carlos WilliamsWhite 35 Wind 30 Sun 28 Sky 25 Morning 24 Green 23 Grass 23 Broken 20 Head 20 Cold 20
William Carlos Williams Quotes
- If they give you lined paper, write the other way.
- By listening to his language of his locality the poet begins to learn his craft. It is his function to lift, by use of imagination and the language he hears, the material conditions and appearances of his environment to the sphere of the intelligence where they will have new currency.
- In summer, the song sings itself.
- The better work men do is always done under stress and at great personal cost.
- The perfect man of action, is the suicide.
Comments about William Carlos Williams
- Nonchalantly_: the “life-book”: zukofsky’s “a”, olson’s “maximus poems”, something to be said of william carlos williams’ experiments with pastorals, pound’s cantos, etc. one wonders if people’s whom have continually operated in oral traditions would not stifle their brow should it be
- Maerztanner: a poem i found amongst old english class work based on a william carlos williams' "red wheel barrow" poem: so much depends upon those unidentifiable remains of the past powering our growth burning our future
- Dwarftoday: if you talk about it long enough you'll finally write it— —william carlos williams 1883-1963 “details for paterson”
- Dhshoopmann: reading spring and all and it turns out that william carlos williams is much weirder than i expected
- Pacificraft: each time the america's cup commotion starts up, i think of william carlos williams's poem "the yachts". all those bodies in the water.