Who is Ben JonsonBenjamin Jonson (c. 11 June 1572 – c. 16 August 1637) was an English playwright, poet, actor, and literary critic, whose artistry exerted a lasting impact upon English poetry and stage comedy. He popularised the comedy of humours. He is best known for the satirical plays Every Man in His Humour (1598), Volpone, or The Fox (c. 1606), The Alchemist (1610) and Bartholomew Fair (1614) and for his lyric and epigrammatic poetry. "He is generally regarded as the second most important English dramatist, after William Shakespeare, during the reign of James I."
Jonson was a classically educated, well-read and cultured man of the English Renaissance with an appetite for controversy (personal and political, artistic and intellectual) whose cultural influence was of unparalleled b...
Read Full Biography
Ben Jonson Poems
Beauties, have ye seen this toy,
Called love, a little boy
Almost naked, wanton, blind,
Cruel now, and then as kind? ...
- A Sonnet, To The Noble Lady, The Lady Mary Wroth
I that have been a lover, and could show it,
Though not in these, in rhymes not wholly dumb,
Since I exscribe your sonnets, am become
A better lover, and much better poet. ...
- An Ode To Himself
Where dost thou careless lie,
Buried in ease and sloth?
Knowledge that sleeps doth die;
And this security, ...
- To John Donne
Donne, the delight of Phoebus and each Muse
Who, to thy one, all other brains refuse;
Whose every work of thy most early wit
Came forth example, and remains so yet; ...
- To Sir Robert Wroth
How blest art thou, canst love the countrey, Wroth,
Whether by choyce, or fate, or both!
And, though so neere the Citie, and the Court,
Art tane with neithers vice, nor sport: ...
Top 10 most used topics by Ben JonsonLove 33 I Love You 33 Good 31 Light 29 Life 26 Night 26 Sweet 25 Great 22 Thought 22 Face 21
Ben Jonson QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Ben Jonson
- Ginsbergpoem: allen ginsberg on ben jonson on ben jonson's birthday - and more - friday's weekly round-up on the allen ginsberg project -
- Martin65: i'm sorry, i have just been informed that the writer's almanac has this to say about ben jonson: "jonson's plays were more classically inspired than shakespeare's, less dependent on bawdy jokes and flashy duels." have you read classical literature.
- Maccocktail: "art hath an enemy called ignorance." ― ben jonson (born this day, june 11, 1572)
- Crankyuncle2: born otd 1572 ben jonson, english playwright and poet (volpone, alchemist), born in london (d. 1637)
- Bydavidslattery: when you know that this is she of whose beauty it was sung; she shall make the old man young, keep the middle age at stay, and let nothing high decay, till she be the reason why all the world for love may die. ben jonson born today 1572.