Who is W. H. AudenWystan Hugh Auden (21 February 1907 – 29 September 1973) was an English-American poet. Auden's poetry was noted for its stylistic and technical achievement, its engagement with politics, morals, love, and religion, and its variety in tone, form and content. He is best known for love poems such as "Funeral Blues"; poems on political and social themes such as "September 1, 1939" and "The Shield of Achilles"; poems on cultural and psychological themes such as The Age of Anxiety; and poems on religious themes such as "For the Time Being" and "Horae Canonicae".
He was born in York, grew up in and near Birmingham in a professional middle-class family. He attended English independent (or public) schools and studied English at Christ Church, Oxford. After a few months in...
Read Full Biography
W. H. Auden Poems
- Who's Who
A shilling life will give you all the facts:
How Father beat him, how he ran away,
What were the struggles of his youth, what acts
Made him the greatest figure of his day;...
- Voltaire At Ferney
Almost happy now, he looked at his estate.
An exile making watches glanced up as he passed,
And went on working; where a hospital was rising fast
A joiner touched his cap; an agent came to tell...
- Three Short Poems
“The underground roads
Are, as the dead prefer them,
- The Unknown Citizen
(To JS/07/M/378/ This Marble Monument
Is Erected by the State)
He was found by the Bureau of Statistics to be...
- The Two
You are the town and we are the clock.
We are the guardians of the gate in the rock.
On your left and on your right...
Top 10 most used topics by W. H. AudenAway 11 Never 10 I Love You 10 Love 10 Night 9 Time 8 World 8 Sky 8 Life 7 Children 7
W. H. Auden Quotes
- What the mass media offers is not popular art, but entertainment which is intended to be consumed like food, forgotten, and replaced by a new dish.
- Acts of injustice done, Between the setting and the rising sun, In history lie like bones, each one.
- Accurate scholarship can unearth the whole offence from luther untill noe that has driven a culture mad. From what occured at linz what huge imago made a psychopathic god. i and the public know what all schoolchildren learn those to whom evil is done do evil in return.
- Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can all of them make me laugh.
- When I find myself in the company of scientists, I feel like a shabby curate who has strayed by mistake into a room full of dukes.
Comments about W. H. Auden
- Ryanhvaughn: until all events have been studied and nothing happens to you that you cannot explain. life is the destiny you are bound to refuse until you have consented to die. —w. h. auden, "for the time being"
- Tomlondon6: as i walked out one evening by w. h. auden as i walked out one evening, walking down bristol street, the crowds upon the pavement were fields of harvest wheat and down by the brimming river i heard a lover sing under an arch of the railway: 'love has no ending 1/?
- Kungfushoessays: "we are here on earth to do good to others. what the others are here for, i don't know." w. h. auden
- Callsmind: whatever you do, good or bad, people will always have something negative to say. - w.h. auden
- Justforjedi: all we are not stares back at what we are. - w.h. auden asap welcome treat to jayda