Who is W. H. AudenWystan Hugh Auden (21 February 1907 – 29 September 1973) was an English-American poet. Auden's poetry was noted for its stylistic and technical achievement, its engagement with politics, morals, love, and religion, and its variety in tone, form and content. He is best known for love poems such as "Funeral Blues"; poems on political and social themes such as "September 1, 1939" and "The Shield of Achilles"; poems on cultural and psychological themes such as The Age of Anxiety; and poems on religious themes such as "For the Time Being" and "Horae Canonicae".
He was born in York, grew up in and near Birmingham in a professional middle-class family. He attended English independent (or public) schools and studied English at Christ Church, Oxford. After a few months in...
Read Full Biography
W. H. Auden Poems
- Who's Who
A shilling life will give you all the facts:
How Father beat him, how he ran away,
What were the struggles of his youth, what acts
Made him the greatest figure of his day;...
- Voltaire At Ferney
Almost happy now, he looked at his estate.
An exile making watches glanced up as he passed,
And went on working; where a hospital was rising fast
A joiner touched his cap; an agent came to tell...
- Three Short Poems
“The underground roads
Are, as the dead prefer them,
- The Unknown Citizen
(To JS/07/M/378/ This Marble Monument
Is Erected by the State)
He was found by the Bureau of Statistics to be...
- The Two
You are the town and we are the clock.
We are the guardians of the gate in the rock.
On your left and on your right...
Top 10 most used topics by W. H. AudenAway 11 Never 10 I Love You 10 Love 10 Night 9 Time 8 World 8 Sky 8 Life 7 Children 7
W. H. Auden Quotes
- What the mass media offers is not popular art, but entertainment which is intended to be consumed like food, forgotten, and replaced by a new dish.
- Acts of injustice done, Between the setting and the rising sun, In history lie like bones, each one.
- Accurate scholarship can unearth the whole offence from luther untill noe that has driven a culture mad. From what occured at linz what huge imago made a psychopathic god. i and the public know what all schoolchildren learn those to whom evil is done do evil in return.
- Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can all of them make me laugh.
- When I find myself in the company of scientists, I feel like a shabby curate who has strayed by mistake into a room full of dukes.
Comments about W. H. Auden
- Harirva: the most striking feature of nature is that we cannot conceive of anything that is not utterly alien to us. w.h. auden
- Ankush_saharan_: propaganda is a monologue that is not looking for an answer, but an echo. w.h. auden.
- Kurtwsyx6: funny quote of the day: "a professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep." - w. h. auden
- Beaubrummell11: what i would not give for the arrival of an english poet such as w.h. auden. contemporary poetry -- at least that which i have encountered -- is, for the most part, gibberish. it is as though the words had been expectorated onto the page or screen.
- Hrutikav: “the most exciting rhythms seem unexpected and complex, the most beautiful melodies simple and inevitable.” – w.h. auden angana morey first look shreya ghoshal