Who is Matthew ArnoldFamily tree Matthew Arnold (24 December 1822 – 15 April 1888) was an English poet and cultural critic who worked as an inspector of schools. He was the son of Thomas Arnold, the famed headmaster of Rugby School, and brother to both Tom Arnold, literary professor, and William Delafield Arnold, novelist and colonial administrator. Matthew Arnold has been characterised as a sage writer, a type of writer who chastises and instructs the reader on contemporary social issues.
Read Full Biography
Matthew Arnold Poems
- Journey To The Dead
Forth from the East, up the ascent of Heaven,
Day drove his courser with the Shining Mane;
And in Valhalla, from his gable perch,
The golden-crested Cock began to crow: ...
The gods held talk together, group'd in knots,
Round Balder's corpse, which they had thither borne;
And Hermod came down towards them from the gate.
And Lok, the Father of the Serpent, first ...
- The Last Glen
Hist! once more!
Listen, Pausanias!--Aye, 'tis Callicles!
I know those notes among a thousand. Hark!
He advances to the edge of the crater. Smoke and fire break forth with a loud noise, and CALLICLES is heard below singing:
CALLICLES (from below)
As the sky-brightening south-wind clears the day, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Matthew ArnoldLife 98 World 77 Soul 69 Long 69 Heart 67 Light 63 Deep 63 Sea 60 Night 60 Sun 54
Matthew Arnold Quotes
- I do not believe today everything I believed yesterday I wonder will I believe tomorrow everything I believe today.
- It is almost impossible to exaggerate the proneness of the human mind to take miracles as evidence, and to seek for miracles as evidence.
- It is not always by plugging away at a difficulty and sticking at it that one overcomes it but, rather, often by working on the one next to it. Certain people and certain things require to be approached on an angle.
- Resolve to be thyself and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
- Resolve to be thyself; and know, that he Who finds himself, loses his misery.
Comments about Matthew Arnold
- Carolyn_arnold: when an old rival kidnaps someone close to him, archaeologist matthew connor embarks on a dangerous quest to find the ultimate ransom: a long-lost treasure from the legendary city of gold… a first-in-a-series adventure perfect for fans of indiana jones!
- Bullita666: matthew macfadyen is a comedic genius actually
- Blogtolkien: according to the book, tolkien detached the picture of this watercolor painting from a 1910 book by matthew arnold, framed it, and hung it on the wall of every place he lived in thereafter, including his final residence in merton college. (2/2)
- Fawaziyyat: the solemn peaks, but to the stars are known, but to the stars, and the cold lunar beams; alone the sun arises, and alone spring the great streams. matthew arnold
- Pammalamma: dover beach by matthew arnold