Who is Matthew ArnoldFamily tree Matthew Arnold (24 December 1822 – 15 April 1888) was an English poet and cultural critic who worked as an inspector of schools. He was the son of Thomas Arnold, the famed headmaster of Rugby School, and brother to both Tom Arnold, literary professor, and William Delafield Arnold, novelist and colonial administrator. Matthew Arnold has been characterised as a sage writer, a type of writer who chastises and instructs the reader on contemporary social issues.
Read Full Biography
Matthew Arnold Poems
- Journey To The Dead
Forth from the East, up the ascent of Heaven,
Day drove his courser with the Shining Mane;
And in Valhalla, from his gable perch,
The golden-crested Cock began to crow: ...
The gods held talk together, group'd in knots,
Round Balder's corpse, which they had thither borne;
And Hermod came down towards them from the gate.
And Lok, the Father of the Serpent, first ...
- The Last Glen
Hist! once more!
Listen, Pausanias!--Aye, 'tis Callicles!
I know those notes among a thousand. Hark!
He advances to the edge of the crater. Smoke and fire break forth with a loud noise, and CALLICLES is heard below singing:
CALLICLES (from below)
As the sky-brightening south-wind clears the day, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Matthew ArnoldLife 98 World 77 Soul 69 Long 69 Heart 67 Light 63 Deep 63 Sea 60 Night 60 Sun 54
Matthew Arnold Quotes
- I do not believe today everything I believed yesterday I wonder will I believe tomorrow everything I believe today.
- It is almost impossible to exaggerate the proneness of the human mind to take miracles as evidence, and to seek for miracles as evidence.
- It is not always by plugging away at a difficulty and sticking at it that one overcomes it but, rather, often by working on the one next to it. Certain people and certain things require to be approached on an angle.
- Resolve to be thyself and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
- Resolve to be thyself; and know, that he Who finds himself, loses his misery.
Comments about Matthew Arnold
- Page_upon_page: sketches from concord and appledore. concord thirty years ago; nathaniel hawthorne; louisa m. alcott; ralph waldo emerson; matthew arnold; david a. wasson; wendell phillips; apple... (published: 1895) full text:
- Belindagreb: the pursuit of perfection, then, is the pursuit of sweetness and light.-matthew arnold
- Karabastano: wait i just saw matthew wood, james arnold taylor and sam witwer at the end of the credits of tros ????
- Memento_mori: the truth comes from the lips of a dying man. by matthew arnold
- Ourdailybread: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. matthew 5:44