Who is Elizabeth Barrett BrowningElizabeth Barrett Browning (née Moulton-Barrett, /ˈbraʊnɪŋ/; 6 March 1806 – 29 June 1861) was an English poet of the Victorian era, popular in Britain and the United States during her lifetime.
Born in County Durham, the eldest of 12 children, Elizabeth Barrett wrote poetry from about the age of six. Her mother's collection of her poems forms one of the largest extant collections of juvenilia by any English writer. At 15 she became ill, suffering intense head and spinal pain for the rest of her life. Later in life she also developed lung problems, possibly tuberculosis. She took laudanum for the pain from an early age, which is likely to have contributed to her frail health.
In the 1840s Elizabeth was introduced to literary society through her cousin, J...
Read Full Biography
Elizabeth Barrett Browning Poems
- The Seraph And The Poet
The seraph sings before the manifest
God-One, and in the burning of the Seven,
And with the full life of consummate
Heaving beneath him like a mother's ...
- The North And The South
"Now give us lands where the olives grow,"
Cried the North to the South,
"Where the sun with a golden mouth can blow ...
- The Romaunt Of Margret (excerpts)
"My lips do need thy breath,
My lips do need thy smile, ...
- From 'the Soul's Travelling'
With a child's voice I cry,
Weak, sad, confidingly,
God, God! ...
- On A Portrait Of Wordsworth By B. R. Haydon
Wordsworth upon Helvellyn! Let the cloud
Ebb audibly along the mountain-wind,
Then break against the rock, and show behind
The lowland valleys floating up to crowd ...
Top 10 most used topics by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningI Love You 184 Love 184 Sonnet 136 God 134 Heart 110 Life 106 Soul 98 Face 68 World 67 Death 65
Elizabeth Barrett Browning Quotes
- Best be yourself, imperial, plain and true
- He said true things, but called them by wrong names.
- No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books.
- Since when was genius found respectable?
- Think, In mounting higher, The angels would press on us, and aspire To drop some golden orb of perfect song Into our deep, dear silence.
Comments about Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Dutta_prajeet: light tomorrow with today. — elizabeth barrett browning munawar era begins
- Syedtaukir: light tomorrow with today. –elizabeth barrett browning munawar era begins
- Brogersauthor: earth’s crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with god, but only he who sees takes off his shoes; the rest sit round and pluck blackberries. -elizabeth barrett browning
- Carylloper: i love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach ~ elizabeth barrett browning
- Inspired2share: "god's gifts put man's best dreams to shame." elizabeth barrett browning
Write your comment about Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Sharon: Bingo simply be myself plain no make up no artificial hidden agendas true and honest all though it may not appear that way