Who is Elizabeth Barrett BrowningElizabeth Barrett Browning (née Moulton-Barrett, /ˈbraʊnɪŋ/; 6 March 1806 – 29 June 1861) was an English poet of the Victorian era, popular in Britain and the United States during her lifetime.
Born in County Durham, the eldest of 12 children, Elizabeth Barrett wrote poetry from about the age of six. Her mother's collection of her poems forms one of the largest extant collections of juvenilia by any English writer. At 15 she became ill, suffering intense head and spinal pain for the rest of her life. Later in life she also developed lung problems, possibly tuberculosis. She took laudanum for the pain from an early age, which is likely to have contributed to her frail health.
In the 1840s Elizabeth was introduced to literary society through her cousin, J...
Read Full Biography
Elizabeth Barrett Browning Poems
- The Seraph And The Poet
The seraph sings before the manifest
God-One, and in the burning of the Seven,
And with the full life of consummate
Heaving beneath him like a mother's ...
- The North And The South
"Now give us lands where the olives grow,"
Cried the North to the South,
"Where the sun with a golden mouth can blow ...
- The Romaunt Of Margret (excerpts)
"My lips do need thy breath,
My lips do need thy smile, ...
- From 'the Soul's Travelling'
With a child's voice I cry,
Weak, sad, confidingly,
God, God! ...
- On A Portrait Of Wordsworth By B. R. Haydon
Wordsworth upon Helvellyn! Let the cloud
Ebb audibly along the mountain-wind,
Then break against the rock, and show behind
The lowland valleys floating up to crowd ...
Top 10 most used topics by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningI Love You 184 Love 184 Sonnet 136 God 134 Heart 110 Life 106 Soul 98 Face 68 World 67 Death 65
Elizabeth Barrett Browning Quotes
- Best be yourself, imperial, plain and true
- He said true things, but called them by wrong names.
- No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books.
- Since when was genius found respectable?
- Think, In mounting higher, The angels would press on us, and aspire To drop some golden orb of perfect song Into our deep, dear silence.
Comments about Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Teamandiwwofc: “i love you not only for what you are, but for what i am when i am with you. i love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. i love you for the part of me that you bring out.” – elizabeth barrett browning kodrea on mommysquads2
- _umbrella_ella: a split second of elizabeth barrett browning on the right!!!
- Jacodypress: “measure not the work until the day’s out and the labor done.” elizabeth barrett browning.”
- Soulecting: amazing how we can light tomorrow with today. elizabeth barrett browning
- Jcolag: who so loves believes the impossible. elizabeth barrett browning