Who is Thomas GentThomas Gent (1693, Ireland – 1778, York) was a printer and writer, born in Ireland, who spent most of his working life in York. He authored several works, mostly histories, but was financially unsuccessful.
His poetry and the woodcut illustrations in his publications are considered to be of a low standard, but his historical accounts, as well as details in his own autobiography are considered to be valuable historical resources.
Contents Biography Thomas Gent was born to parents of ordinary background. His father was an Englishman, and he was baptised a Presbyterian. His parents ensured he educated himself du...
Read Full Biography
Thomas Gent Poems
- Lines, Written On Seeing The Children Of The Naval Asylum.
Sons of Renown! ye heirs of matchless fame,
Whose Sires in Glory's path victorious fell;
Adding new honors to the British name,
That future ages shall with transport tell. ...
- Mister Punch. (a Hasty Sketch.)
Who stops the Minister of State,
When hurrying to the Lords' debate?
Who, spite of gravity beguiles,
The solemn Bishop of his smiles? ...
- To ******
0 Nymph! with cheeks of roseate hue,
Whose eyes are violets bath'd in dew,
So liquid, languishing, and blue,
How they bewitch me! ...
- Sonnet. To A Lyre
Friend of the lonely hour, from thy lov'd strain
The magic pow'r of pleasure have I known:
Awhile I lose remembrance of my pain,
And seem to taste of joys that long had flown. ...
- Sonnet. To Faith
Hail! holy FAITH, on life's wide ocean toss'd,
I see thee sit calm in thy beaten bark;
As NOAH sat, throned in his high-borne ark,
Secure and fearless while a world was lost! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Thomas GentI Love You 54 Love 54 Heart 51 Life 51 Soul 51 World 43 Sweet 43 Tear 37 Death 37 Heaven 35
Thomas Gent Quotes
Comments about Thomas Gent
- Misterm06736933: galen weston was a gent of a man. the man behind penneys primark, british associated foods, quinnsworth, brown thomas in dublin. rip mr weston.
- Esquireclassic: to live and die in l.a. with thomas “hollywood” henderson. this 1980 profile by peter gent is a gonzo classic:
- Sibamteza: even that thomas gent. mxm. amadoda
- Catoletters: one of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation ~ thomas b. reed
- Sar_gent: thomas tuchel; manager of the... nvm.