Who is Stephen CraneStephen Crane (November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900) was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer. Prolific throughout his short life, he wrote notable works in the Realist tradition as well as early examples of American Naturalism and Impressionism. He is recognized by modern critics as one of the most innovative writers of his generation.
The ninth surviving child of Methodist parents, Crane began writing at the age of four and had published several articles by the age of 16. Having little interest in university studies though he was active in a fraternity, he left Syracuse University in 1891 to work as a reporter and writer. Crane's first novel was the 1893 Bowery tale Maggie: A Girl of the Streets, generally considered by critics to be the first work of Ameri...
Read Full Biography
Stephen Crane Poems
- Sollte Die Weite Welt Fortrollen
Sollte die weite Welt fortrollen
Hinterlassend schwarzes Entsetzen
Nicht Gott oder Mensch oder ein Platz zum Stehen wären mir unentbehrlich ...
- Man, The
A man said to the universe,
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me ...
- A Slant Of Sun On Dull Brown Walls
A slant of sun on dull brown walls,
A forgotten sky of bashful blue.
Toward God a mighty hymn, ...
- Mystic Shadow
Mystic shadow, bending near me,
Who art thou?
Whence come ye?
And -- tell me -- is it fair ...
- I Looked Here
I looked here;
I looked there;
Nowhere could I see my love.
And -- this time -- ...
Top 10 most used topics by Stephen CraneGod 26 Sky 17 Heart 16 Black 16 Place 15 Good 12 World 12 Wind 11 Blue 10 I Love You 9
Stephen Crane Quotes
- A man said to the Universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
- Think as I think said the man, or you are abominable. You are a toad. And after I had thought on it, I said I will then, be a toad.
Comments about Stephen Crane
- Wirelessstory: london impressions by stephen crane
- Wirelessstory: in the depths of a coal mine by stephen crane
- Wirelessstory: four men in a cave by stephen crane
- Wirelessstory: a tent in agony by stephen crane
- Wirelessstory: an indiana campaign by stephen crane