Who is Sarojini NaiduSarojini Naidu (née Chattopadhyay; 13 February 1879 – 2 March 1949) was an Indian independence activist and poet who earned the sobriquet of Nightingale of India. She was born in a Bengali Hindu family at Hyderabad and was educated in Chennai, London and Cambridge. She married Dr. Govindarajulu Naidu and settled down in Hyderabad. She took part in the Indian nationalist movement, became a follower of Mahatma Gandhi and fought for the attainment of Swaraj or independence. She became the President of Indian National Congress and was later appointed as Governor of the United Provinces, now Uttar Pradesh. She was the first woman Governor of the Republic of India. Known as the 'Nightingale of India', she was also a noted poet. Her poetry includes children's poems, nature poems, pat...
Read Full Biography
Sarojini Naidu Poems
The serpents are asleep among the poppies,
The fireflies light the soundless panther's way
To tangled paths where shy gazelles are straying,
And parrot-plumes outshine the dying day. ...
- Corn Grinders
O little mouse, why dost thou cry
While merry stars laugh in the sky?
- In Salutation To The Eternal Peace
Men say the world is full of fear and hate,
And all life's ripening harvest-fields await
The restless sickle of relentless fate.
- The Royal Tombs Of Golconda
I MUSE among these silent fanes
Whose spacious darkness guards your dust;
Around me sleep the hoary plains
That hold your ancient wars in trust. ...
- To India
O YOUNG through all thy immemorial years!
Rise, Mother, rise, regenerate from thy gloom,
And, like a bride high-mated with the spheres,
Beget new glories from thine ageless womb! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Sarojini NaiduLove 23 I Love You 23 Life 19 Sweet 19 Heart 18 Song 17 Dream 15 Wind 15 Night 14 Light 13
Sarojini Naidu Quotes
Comments about Sarojini Naidu
- Quwwattakhayyul: what do you weave, o ye flower-girls? with tassels of azure and red? crowns for the brow of a bridegroom, chaplets to garland his bed, sheets of white blossoms new-gathered to perfume the sleep of the dead.’ —sarojini naidu (india; 1879–1949)
- Thequickknow: q. whom did sarojini naidu succeed as president of the indian national congress ? (a) vallabhbhai patel (b) bhagat singh (c) mahatma gandhi (d) lord mountbatten sarojini naidu (first woman) president of congress kanpur, 1925 gandhi ji during belgaum, 1924.
- Nkblr: "it took a lot of money to keep gandhi poor": sarojini naidu
- Yogendrapopli: many years ago i had read of sarojini naidu on mahatma gandhi not climbing the steps of qutub minar. she said: "he had an impression of steps being made of crushed stones from idols of hindu deities. historians, archaeologists should clear the doubt.
- Deccanherald: besides the gandhi family, leaders, and party presidents, pictures of freedom fighters like subhash chandra bose, sarojini naidu among others can also be seen in the posters.