Who is Robert LowellRobert Traill Spence Lowell IV (/ˈloʊəl/; March 1, 1917 – September 12, 1977) was an American poet. He was born into a Boston Brahmin family that could trace its origins back to the Mayflower. His family, past and present, were important subjects in his poetry. Growing up in Boston also informed his poems, which were frequently set in Boston and the New England region. The literary scholar Paula Hayes believes that Lowell mythologized New England, particularly in his early work.
Lowell stated, "The poets who most directly influenced me ... were Allen Tate, Elizabeth Bishop, and William Carlos Williams. An unlikely combination! ... but you can see that Bishop is a sort of bridge between Tate's formalism and Williams's informal art." Lowell wrote in both formal, mete...
Read Full Biography
Robert Lowell Poems
- Identification In Belfast
The British Army now carries two rifles,
one with rubber rabbit-pellets for children, ...
- "to Speak Of Woe That Is In Marriage"
"The hot night makes us keep our bedroom windows open.
Our magnolia blossoms.Life begins to happen.
My hopped up husband drops his home disputes,
and hits the streets to cruise for prostitutes, ...
- Home After Three Months Away
Gone now the baby's nurse,
a lioness who ruled the roost
and made the Mother cry.
She used to tie ...
- For The Union Dead
<i>Relinquunt Ommia Servare Rem Publicam.</i>
The old South Boston Aquarium stands
in a Sahara of snow now. Its broken windows are boarded. ...
History has to live with what was here,
clutching and close to fumbling all we had--
it is so dull and gruesome how we die,
unlike writing, life never finishes. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Robert LowellNight 12 Life 10 White 8 Morning 7 Blue 7 Wind 6 Mother 6 Light 6 Speak 5 God 5
Robert Lowell Quotes
Comments about Robert Lowell
- Mphstanley: “you always want the detail that you can’t explain.” —robert lowell.
- Iafflocal853: lowell: apparatus brownout update: engine 7 from the pine st. firehouse (covers the upper highlands) is out of service today 08:00-18:00 hrs. 7/23/21.
- Robert_mills: these words are really nice, but the real story is that i leave this job 110 percent confident that the same job i did is still being done, and by someone just as capable. please give aaron your news tips, trust, questions and support. lowell is still wild and he’s watching.
- Robert_mills: like jack kerouac, lowell can be a little messed up sometimes. it likes to party. but it’s also brilliant, creative, and the birthplace of thoughts and adventures that change the world.
- Robert_mills: like micky ward, lowell gets beaten up real bad sometimes, and many of it’s best people live poor in triple deckers on narrow streets. but no matter how many blows it takes, lowell stays on it’s feet and keeps fighting back. it keeps working.