Who is Robert GravesRobert von Ranke Graves (24 July 1895 – 7 December 1985), known as Robert Graves, was a British poet, historical novelist, critic, and classicist. His father was Alfred Perceval Graves, a celebrated Irish poet and figure in the Gaelic revival; they were both Celticists and students of Irish mythology. Graves produced more than 140 works. Graves's poems—together with his translations and innovative analysis and interpretations of the Greek myths; his memoir of his early life, including his role in World War I, Good-Bye to All That; and his speculative study of poetic inspiration, The White Goddess—have never been out of print.
He earned his living from writing, particularly popular historical novels such as I, Claudius, King Jesus, The Golden Fleece and Count ...
Read Full Biography
Robert Graves Poems
- Morning PhÅ?nix
In my body lives a flame,
Flame that burns me all the day;
When a fierce sun does the same,
I am charred away. ...
- The Boy In Church
'Gabble-gabble . . . brethren . . . gabble-gabble!'
My window glimpses larch and heather.
I hardly hear the tuneful babble,
Not knowing nor much caring whether ...
- In Broken Images
He is quick, thinking in clear images;
I am slow, thinking in broken images.
He becomes dull, trusting to his clear images; ...
- The Travellers' Curse After Misdirection
(from the Welsh)
May they stumble, stage by stage
On an endless Pilgrimage ...
- The Snapped Thread
Desire, first, by a natural miracle
United bodies, united hearts, blazed beauty;
Transcended bodies, transcended hearts.
Top 10 most used topics by Robert GravesI Love You 44 Love 44 Time 38 Heart 36 Away 33 Never 30 Night 28 God 28 Red 27 Long 27
Robert Graves Quotes
- Anthropologists are a connecting link between poets and scientists though their field-work among primitive peoples has often made them forget the language of science.
- Every English poet should master the rules of grammar before he attempts to bend or break them.
- The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he really is very good, in spite of all the people who say he is very good.
- There is no money in poetry, but then there is no poetry in money either.
Comments about Robert Graves
- Quotebotproject: intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer. -- by robert graves
- Quotesinno: intuition is the supra logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer. robert graves 1895 – 1985) english novelist, poet, writer
- Aryanomar4: you, love, and i, (he whispers) you and i, and if no more than only you and i what care you or i ? robert graves
- Mcgelman: the gop representatives that deny the legal election of joe biden and encourage trump followers to destroy our democracy- “let all the poison that lurks in the mud, hatch out.” ― robert graves, i, claudius.
- Globalcalgary: "i can imagine my dad and my grandfather rolling over in their graves wondering what the heck is going on here," one rancher said.