Who is Robert BrowningRobert Browning (7 May 1812 – 12 December 1889) was an English poet and playwright whose mastery of the dramatic monologue made him one of the foremost Victorian poets. His poems are known for their irony, characterization, dark humour, social commentary, historical settings, and challenging vocabulary and syntax.
Browning's early career began promisingly, but collapsed. The long poems Pauline and Paracelsus received some acclaim, but in 1840 the difficult Sordello, which was seen as wilfully obscure, brought his poetry into disrepute. His reputation took more than a decade to recover, during which time he moved away from the Shelleyan forms of his early period and developed a more personal style.
In 1846, Browning married the older poet Elizabeth Barrett, a...
Read Full Biography
Robert Browning Poems
- Sordello: Book The Second
The woods were long austere with snow: at last
Pink leaflets budded on the beech, and fast
Larches, scattered through pine-tree solitudes,
Brightened, "as in the slumbrous heart o' the woods ...
- Songs From Pippa Passes
Day! Faster and more fast,
O'er night's brim, day boils at last:
Boils, pure gold, o'er the cloud-cup's brim.
Where spurting and suppressed it lay, ...
- The Cardinal And The Dog
Browning wrote this poem in 1842 for Macready's son, who was ill. He had also written the Pied Piper of Hamelin at the same time.
Crescenzio, the Pope's Legate at the High Council, Trent, ...
- Bad Dreams Iii
This was my dream: I saw a Forest
Old as the earth, no track nor trace
Of unmade man. Thou, Soul, explorest,
Though in a trembling rapture, space ...
- Sordello: Book The Third
And the font took them: let our laurels lie!
Braid moonfern now with mystic trifoly
Because once more Goito gets, once more,
Sordello to itself! A dream is o'er, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Robert BrowningLife 143 God 138 Heart 137 Love 132 I Love You 132 Never 125 World 114 Good 113 Face 113 Long 111
Robert Browning Quotes
- Grow old along with me The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made Our times are in his hand who saith, A whole I planned, Youth shows but half trust God See all, nor be afraid
- Grow old along with me the best is yet to be.
- I show you doubt, to prove that faith exists.
- Ignorance is not innocence but sin.
- Motherhood All love begins and ends there.
Comments about Robert Browning
- Jhonrocelof: “grow old with me, the best is yet to be.” —robert browning sheena b asapnovembest
- Dgkolkata74: 'take away love and our earth is a tomb.' - robert browning
- Mogalore: writers inspirational quotes less is more. - robert browning
- Fender51093: love is best. by robert browning
- Brulechevalier: days decrease, and autumn grows, autumn in everything. -- robert browning