Who is Oliver GoldsmithOliver Goldsmith (10 November 1728 – 4 April 1774) was an Irish novelist, playwright and poet, who is best known for his novel The Vicar of Wakefield (1766), his pastoral poem The Deserted Village (1770), and his plays The Good-Natur'd Man (1768) and She Stoops to Conquer (1771, first performed in 1773). He is thought to have written the classic children's tale The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes (1765).
Read Full Biography
Oliver Goldsmith Poems
- Threnodia Augustalis:
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF HER LATE ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCESS DOWAGER OF WALES.
OVERTURE A SOLEMN DIRGE. AIR TRIO.
- Of The Death Of The Right Hon. ***
Ye Muses, pour the pitying tear
For Pollio snatch'd away;
O! had he liv'd another year!
'He had not died to-day'. ...
- Song From 'she Stoops To Conquer'
Let school-masters puzzle their brain,
With grammar, and nonsense, and learning;
Good liquor, I stoutly maintain,
Gives 'genus' a better discerning. ...
- The Gift
To Iris, In Bow Street, Convent Garden
Say, cruel IRIS, pretty rake,
Dear mercenary beauty, ...
- Epilogue To 'the Good Natur'd Man'
As puffing quacks some caitiff wretch procure
To swear the pill, or drop, has wrought a cure;
Thus on the stage, our play-wrights still depend
For Epilogues and Prologues on some friend, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Oliver GoldsmithGood 19 Long 16 Place 15 Night 13 Life 12 Face 12 View 12 Rise 10 Death 10 Soul 10
Oliver Goldsmith Quotes
Comments about Oliver Goldsmith
- Ricklondongreen: ask me no questions, and i'll tell you no lies.oliver goldsmith
- Nina11_arora: oliver goldsmith had a point!!
- Randalltmonk: life is a journey that must be traveled no matter how bad the roads and accommodations. -oliver goldsmith
- Ames_of_j: our greatest glory consists not in never falling,but in rising every time we fall. by oliver goldsmith
- Welfordwrites: oliver goldsmith: an 18th-century irish exile writer. click the link!