Who is Oliver GoldsmithOliver Goldsmith (10 November 1728 – 4 April 1774) was an Irish novelist, playwright and poet, who is best known for his novel The Vicar of Wakefield (1766), his pastoral poem The Deserted Village (1770), and his plays The Good-Natur'd Man (1768) and She Stoops to Conquer (1771, first performed in 1773). He is thought to have written the classic children's tale The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes (1765).
Read Full Biography
Oliver Goldsmith Poems
- Threnodia Augustalis:
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF HER LATE ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCESS DOWAGER OF WALES.
OVERTURE A SOLEMN DIRGE. AIR TRIO.
- Of The Death Of The Right Hon. ***
Ye Muses, pour the pitying tear
For Pollio snatch'd away;
O! had he liv'd another year!
'He had not died to-day'. ...
- Song From 'she Stoops To Conquer'
Let school-masters puzzle their brain,
With grammar, and nonsense, and learning;
Good liquor, I stoutly maintain,
Gives 'genus' a better discerning. ...
- The Gift
To Iris, In Bow Street, Convent Garden
Say, cruel IRIS, pretty rake,
Dear mercenary beauty, ...
- Epilogue To 'the Good Natur'd Man'
As puffing quacks some caitiff wretch procure
To swear the pill, or drop, has wrought a cure;
Thus on the stage, our play-wrights still depend
For Epilogues and Prologues on some friend, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Oliver GoldsmithGood 19 Long 16 Place 15 Night 13 Life 12 Face 12 View 12 Rise 10 Death 10 Soul 10
Oliver Goldsmith Quotes
Comments about Oliver Goldsmith
- Pwdan: you can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips. oliver goldsmith
- Kulambq: "those calm desires that asked but little room, those healthful sports that graced the peaceful scene, lived in each look, and brightened all the green; these, far departing seek a kinder shore, and rural mirth and manners are no more." ~ oliver goldsmith, "the deserted village"
- Tomlondon6: ill fares the land to hastening ills a prey when wealth accumulates but men decay - oliver goldsmith this was written over 250 years ago. very relevant right now
- Qc: “ask me no questions, and i’ll tell you no lies.” — oliver goldsmith
- Childejude: oliver goldsmith,topham beauclerk, bennet langton, john hawkins,& anthony charmier. whilst the concept of intellectual soirees, and assemblies of the intelligentsia are part and parcel of the history of civilization since well before plato's "academy" ,