Who is Mathilde BlindMathilde Blind (born Mathilda Cohen, 21 March 1841 in Mannheim, Germany, died 26 November 1896 in London), was a German-born English poet, fiction writer, biographer, essayist and literary critic. In the early 1870s she emerged as a pioneering female aesthete in a mostly male community of artists and writers, and by the late 1880s she had become a prominent voice and leader among New Woman writers, including Vernon Lee (Violet Paget), Amy Levy, Mona Caird, Olive Schreiner, Rosamund Marriott Watson, and Katharine Tynan. Her work was praised by Algernon Charles Swinburne, William Michael Rossetti, Amy Levy, Edith Nesbit, Arthur Symons and Arnold Bennett. Her widely discussed poem The Ascent of Man represents a distinctly feminist response to the Darwinian theory of evolution.
Read Full Biography
Mathilde Blind Poems
LOVE springs as lightly from the human heart
As springs the lovely rose upon the brier,
Which turns the common hedge to floral fire,
As Love wings Time with rosy-feathered dart. ...
- The Moon Of Ramadân
The sunset melts upon the Nile,
The stony desert glows,
Beneath heaven's universal smile,
One burning damask rose; ...
- Lines Ii
THOU camest with the coming Spring!
With swallows, and the murmuring
Of unloosed waters, with the birth
Of daisies dimpling the green earth. ...
- As Many Stars
AS many stars as are aglow
Deep in the hollows of the night
As many as the flowers that blow
Beneath the kindling light; ...
- The Dying Dragoman
Far in the fiery wilderness,
Beyond the town of Assouan,
Left languishing in sore distress,
There lay a dying Dragoman. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Mathilde BlindLove 91 I Love You 91 Life 75 Heart 71 Light 69 Earth 56 Sun 55 Night 55 White 42 Moon 41
Mathilde Blind Quotes
Comments about Mathilde Blind
- Marcbekoff: the hidden slippery slopes of animal reintroduction programs blind faith in reintroduction programs means some animals will be harmed and killed who otherwise would have gone on to live more normal lives.
- C19gsjournal: from the archives—check out patricia murphy’s “ecofeminist whispers: the interrogation of “feminine nature” in mathilde blind’s short poetry” in issue 11.1:
- Bordercollies: i just published ‘april rain’ by mathilde blind
- Book_addict: happy birthday to german-born english poet mathilde blind (march 21, 1841), author of “the ascent of man” (1888) et al.
- Rbidet: mathilde kristensen | sorry (seinabo sey) | blind auditions | the voice ...