Who is Leon GellertLeon Maxwell Gellert (17 May 1892 – 22 August 1977) was an Australian poet.
Early life and education He was born in Walkerville, a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. He was subjected to bullying by his father, a Methodist of Hungarian extraction, to which he reacted by learning self-defence at the YMCA.
After an education at Adelaide High School, he embarked on a teaching career; first as a student-teacher at Unley High School then at the University of Adelaide's Teacher Training College.
He enlisted with the Australian Imperial Forces 10th Battalion within weeks of the outbreak of the Great War and sailed for Cairo on 22 October 1914. He landed at Ari Burnu Beach, Gallipoli on 25 April 1915, was wounded and repatriated as medically ...
Read Full Biography
Leon Gellert Poems
- The True Dawn
Go, false dawn, that cometh as a child
With yellow curls!
Hast never known the wild
Unhallowed cry of night! ...
- The Cripple
He totters round and dangles those odd shapes
That were his legs. His eyes are never dim.
He brags about his fame between the tapes,
And laughs the loudest when they laugh at him. ...
- To A Man Who Wished To Die
And now that you are dead, - If I should die
Upon this ground,
And open my new eye,
Iâ??d leave my body dead, ...
She came from some still mossiness
Of quiet ways; and stood with modest hands;
A warmth of body in a shy distress;
A white shell on the sands. ...
Beside the doors of a keen-lighted hall
I paused, and quite by chance
I noticed Love
Smiling and tall; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Leon GellertNight 25 Face 18 Long 18 Head 18 Sleep 17 Red 17 Death 16 Sea 16 Sky 15 Earth 15
Leon Gellert Quotes
Comments about Leon Gellert
- War_poets: 22 october 1914 leon gellert as part of the australian imperial force's 10th battalion embarks on the troopship ascanius for egypt.
- War_poets: 22 august 1914 leon gellert enlists in the australian imperial force and is posted as a corporal to south australia's 10th battalion.
- Wherrypilgrim: australian writer leon gellert born 17 may 1892. he fought at gallipoli and later wrote of what it meant to bring the war home: "none sees my sadness. no one understands how i must touch her hair with bloody hands" more here:
- Dsfinebooks: art in australia. a quarterly magazine. third series, number sixty-six. edited by sydney ure smith & leon gellert. sydney : art in australia, 1937. octavo, pictorial card wrappers with margaret preston design (small…
- Dsfinebooks: how awesome is this cover? awesome level is high, in my opinion. art in australia. a quarterly magazine. third series, number eleven. edited by sydney ure smith & leon gellert. sydney : art in australia, 1925.…