Who is Kenneth KochKenneth Koch (/ˈkoʊk/, 27 February 1925 – 6 July 2002) was an American poet, playwright, and professor, active from the 1950s until his death at age 77. He was a prominent poet of the New York School of poetry. This was a loose group of poets including Frank O'Hara and John Ashbery that eschewed contemporary introspective poetry in favor of an exuberant, cosmopolitan style that drew major inspiration from travel, painting, and music.
Life Koch (pronounced coke) was born Jay Kenneth Koch in Cincinnati, Ohio. He began writing poetry at an early age, discovering the work of Shelley and Keats in his teenage years. At the age of 18, he served in WWII as a U.S. Army infantryman in the Philippines.
After his service, he attended Harvard University, w...
Read Full Biography
Kenneth Koch Poems
- On The Great Atlantic Rainway
I set forth one misted white day of June
Beneath the great Atlantic rainway, and heard:
â??Honestly you smite worlds of truth, but
Lose your own trains of thought, like a pigeon. ...
Nothing's moving I don't see anybody
And I know that it's not a trick
There really is nothing moving there
And there aren't any people. It is the very utmost top ...
- The History Of Jazz
The leaves of blue came drifting down.
In the corner Madeleine Reierbacher was reading Lorna Doone. ...
- The Brassiere Factory
Is the governor falling
From a great height?
Arm in arm we fled the brassiere factory,
The motion-boat stayed on the shore! ...
- Talking To Patrizia
Patrizia doesn't want to
Talk about love she
Says she just
Wants to make ...
Top 10 most used topics by Kenneth KochI Love You 11 Love 11 Life 10 Sun 9 Time 9 Person 8 Away 8 Home 7 People 7 Great 7
Kenneth Koch Quotes
Comments about Kenneth Koch
- Reginarosenfeld: i will never get over this stanza: "the boiling water" by kenneth koch
- Pivic: from kenneth koch's 'bed'.
- Susannahdickey: i love kenneth koch, just absolutely love his lovely mind i do
- Theerougarou: freedom partners action fund $2 million from kenneth griffin $2.5 million to the super pac conservative solutions $2 million from diane hendricks of wisconsin and a major supporter of governor scott walker. $3 million from charles koch
- Hayin2: locus solus (journal) - “now to look at locus solus, a magazine of poetry and prose edited by john ashbery, kenneth koch, and james schuyler from 1961–’62, and published by harry mathews in lans-en-vercors, france. all five issues of the...