Who is Katherine MansfieldKathleen Mansfield Murry (née Beauchamp; 14 October 1888 – 9 January 1923) was a prominent New Zealand modernist short story writer who was born and brought up in colonial New Zealand and wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield. At the age of 19, she left New Zealand and settled in England, where she became a friend of writers such as D. H. Lawrence and Virginia Woolf. Mansfield was diagnosed with extrapulmonary tuberculosis in 1917; the disease claimed her life at the age of 34.
BiographyEarly life Mansfield was born Kathleen Mansfield Beauchamp in 1888 into a socially prominent family in Wellington, New Zealand. Her grandfather was Arthur Beauchamp, who briefly represented the Picton electorate in Parliament. Her extended family includ...
Read Full Biography
Katherine Mansfield Poems
- Very Early Spring
The fields are snowbound no longer;
There are little blue lakes and flags of tenderest green.
The snow has been caught up into the sky--
So many white clouds--and the blue of the sky is cold. ...
- The Candle
By my bed, on a little round table
The Grandmother placed a candle.
She gave me three kisses telling me they were three
- A Little Boy's Dream
To and fro, to and fro
In my little boat I go
Sailing far across the sea
All alone, just little me. ...
- The Opal Dream Cave
In an opal dream cave I found a fairy:
Her wings were frailer than flower petals,
Frailer far than snowflakes.
She was not frightened, but poised on my finger, ...
- Grown-up Talk
Half-Past-Six and I were talking
In a very grown-up way;
We had got so tired with running
That we did not want to play. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Katherine MansfieldAway 18 Dark 17 Play 16 Sky 16 White 16 Sea 16 Night 15 Song 15 Never 15 Child 15
Katherine Mansfield Quotes
- By health I mean the power to live a full, adult, living, breathing life in close contact with... the earth and the wonders thereof - the sea - the sun.
- I am treating you as my friend asking you share my present minuses in the hope I can ask you to share my future pluses.
- I am treating you as my friend, asking you to share my present minuses in the hope that I can ask you to share my future pluses.
- Risk Risk anything Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth.
- Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth.
Comments about Katherine Mansfield
- Kjakubowicz: other visitors included: aldous huxley, virginia woolf, katherine mansfield, w.b. yeats, t.s. eliot, vanessa bell, maynard keynes, duncan grant, and dora carrington. play 'spot the celebrity' with this picture of garsington guests! 3/10
- Gregcatarino1: “the pleasure of reading is twofold when you can share with another the same books. ” -katherine mansfield
- Victorianmasc: cfp: tinakori, critical journal of the katherine mansfield society. theme - ‘pain’. abstracts due 12th dec.
- Armadill2010: make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in. (katherine mansfield)
- Write4wellbeing: ‘looking back i imagine i was always writing. twaddle it was too. but better far write twaddle or anything, anything, than nothing at all.’ — katherine mansfield