Who is Ambrose BierceAmbrose Gwinnett Bierce (June 24, 1842 – circa 1914) was an American short story writer, journalist, poet, and Civil War veteran.
Bierce's book The Devil's Dictionary was named as one of "The 100 Greatest Masterpieces of American Literature" by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration. His story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" has been described as "one of the most famous and frequently anthologized stories in American literature"; and his book Tales of Soldiers and Civilians (also published as In the Midst of Life) was named by the Grolier Club as one of the 100 most influential American books printed before 1900.
A prolific and versatile writer, Bierce was regarded as one of the most influential journalists in the United States, and as a pio...
Read Full Biography
Ambrose Bierce Poems
- The Day Of Wrath
Day of Satan's painful duty!
Earth shall vanish, hot and sooty;
So says Virtue, so says Beauty.
Unhappy State! with horrors still to strive:
Thy Hugo dead, thy Boulanger alive;
A Prince who'd govern where he dares not dwell,
And who for power would his birthright sell ...
- Four Of A Kind
ROBERT F. MORROW
Dear man! although a stranger and a foe
To soft affection's humanizing glow; ...
- Bats In Sunshine
Well, Mr. Kemble, you are called, I think,
A great divine, and I'm a great profane.
You as a Congregationalist blink
Some certain truths that I esteem a gain, ...
- A Dampened Ardor
The Chinatown at Bakersfield
Was blazing bright and high;
The flames to water would not yield,
Though torrents drenched the sky ...
Top 10 most used topics by Ambrose BierceGood 90 God 90 Never 88 Great 84 Long 66 Head 65 High 61 Life 61 Thought 61 Soul 57
Ambrose Bierce Quotes
- Faith Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.
- The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling.
- Painting The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic.
- Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we are having.
- Bore, n. A person who talks when you wish him to listen.
Comments about Ambrose Bierce
- Davidgrayless: "there is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know yet." -- ambrose bierce
- Tikiram18: “speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.” —ambrose bierce fridaily diana
- Interestedangkd: “love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage.” – ambrose bierce frinight with kodrea
- Terrycox7: revolution: in politics, an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.- ambrose bierce
- Elsiesnuffin: "when you doubt, abstain." ~ ambrose bierce